Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helpers. Second line of attack in research!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpers. Second line of attack in research!

Just found this whilst browsing around and thought it might be useful to someone?

Helpers :: Home page

What they say
    London University's libraries and colleges hold a huge amount of material which may hold the crucial fact that allows you to identify that elusive great-great-uncle, who you cannot trace, or may hold some previously long forgotten nugget of information about your locality, and so on.

The problem is where do you start to look? Which of these archives would be useful to you in your research and which are not? Can you get access to them and if so how?

We have picked out the London University collections that we believe would be especially useful to family and local historians and compiled 'Helpers descriptions' for them, which describe what you can find in those collections.

Can't give you my own view as it's going to taked me all evening to get through looking through it :D:o

How intriguing!

This one looks useful - potentially - for people with Dublin links:
    Benevolent Annuity Company
    1771 - 1787

The Wives' certificate book for the Benevolent Annuity Company in Dublin. This is a very valuable family history resource if you have ancestors in Dublin. For each entry several pieces of genaelogical data are recorded. It is very rare to find this much information about women recorded in the 18th century.
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

THis looks pretty good tooo

Medical Examinations in connection with the Colonies and Protectorates
      1898 - 1919

Medical records of people who emigrated to the colonies between 1898 and 1919. If you have a relative you can't trace during this period, then this archive may show where they went. The records also hold a small amount of information about the interviewees' immediate relatives.
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

The LSE in London are on there for the Charles Booth Archive are very helpful, I looked at the original notebooks, the archivist at the library had what I needed waiting for me, just needed ID.

Comment

Zoe - the detailed bit gives even more:
          Detailed usage description

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine holds an archive of the medical examinations of people who emigrated to the British colonies and protectorates between 1898 and 1919. As well as giving a detailed account of the subject's health, each record gives a small amount of family history parents, children and siblings) as well as some details about their current job, the job that they were intending to take up in the colonies and its location.

If you have a relative who apparently 'disappeared' at the end of the 19th Century, e.g. they're in the 1891 census, but not in the 1901 census, they may have emigrated, and this collection may give you a clue as to where and when they went. Also, although the family history on the record is brief, it could be useful to give supporting evidence to clarify ambiguities in your family history.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

All this reminds me of a dear old gent I met in a records office when I was new to family history.

He said successful research is 10% LUCK and 90% LOOK. There are literally thousands, if not millions, of paper resources - it is just knowing what they are and where they are.

Well done to London University for this intelligent approach to obscure records.

OC

Comment

It doesn't seem to be very recently updated: I emailed them with a dodgy link problem, and my email was bounced. The contact for The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine doesn't match the name you get from Archon.

Christine

Comment

The link to the Yorkgate Collection at the Royal Academy of Music was wrong too. I eventually found it by googling
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Lots of information available about Missionary Societies which someone was asking about at the beginning of this month.

Comment

Working...
                  X