How long do they keep the records for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do they keep the records for

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows how long companies keep records of employers for. My grandad and great grandad worked for a local company which is still well known around here. Do you think they would have any record of either of them?
    Jen

I guess it depends on the individual company. I presume there are government rules about how long. Companies may keep them in their own archives or maybe pass them on to a records office.

If you want to find out if your company has information about your relatives, you won't lose anything by asking. Though they may have rules about disclosing the information to third parties.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you Nell i might pop in there tomorrow as they are based at the top of my road, which is handy.
      Jen

Comment

Hope you strike lucky - there's no harm in asking.

Comment

Thats it will go tomorrow the worst they can say is that they have no records going back that far.
          Jen

Comment

After six years you can destroy the records. One of my regular tasks is to do a bit of weeding.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
            X