poor law records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor law records

I have the CD with mid kent poor law records and there are some on there that may relate to my lot. They give the reference numbers for the documents. My question is can they be viewed on line or ordered from somewhere?

Very much doubt they can be viewed online. The numbers are probably references for the relevant archive. Doesn't the CD say where they are?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Googling around for details of the CD, it does appear that it is the archives reference that is given, but I can't see which archive it is!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If its this one

POOR LAW RECORDS for MID-KENT.Transcripts of Settlement Certificates, Bastardy Bonds, Removal & Settlement Examinations, etcNearly 19,000 records in SURNAME order ...the original record held at either the Centre for Kentish Studies or Medway Studies Centre, almost entirely on micro-film.

Then you need

Centre for Kentish Studies

or

Medway Council - Archives and local studies
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thank you. I feel a trip to Kent coming on!!! LOL

Comment

I wish every area was as good as Sussex where you can actually view the orders on line.

Comment

Sussex IS brilliant, but I think it is just an index. There ought to be more info on some of the entries.

For anyone interested, try to get hold of "On the Parish" by Jane Hales. She is just looking at Holt in Norfolk, but the settlement examinations cover people from all over the place. Absolutely fascinating, but some very sad stories.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
              X