X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 years old

Hi everyone,

Newby here.

Does anyone know if there is a list of all telegrams/communications sent by the Queen when someone reaches 100? I have been told that my G Grandmother was 102 when she died, but I can't find anything to back this up as I can't find a record of her death anywhere.

Jules
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

hi jules and a warm welcome,not sure if anyone other than the present queen sent 100 years card,but then someone might know lol brenda xxx

Comment

I don't think there is a record of them, Jules, sorry, but if you post up the infomration you have about your Great Grandmother perhaps we can help?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I do know that THESE DAYS (but possibly not in the past, when fewer people reached the age of 100) you have to actively request a telegram/card from the Queen, and provide a birth certificate.

OC

Comment

Thank you for your replies, any help would be most welcome and appreciated.
          The details I have for her are:
          Born Sarah Dixon abt 1852, census shows her as being born in Lincoln. She married John Bannister Smith Aug 1870, marriage cert says in Clee.
          Her last known address was on 1901 census as 91 Willingham St, Grimsby. I know she was definately alive in 1930 as they celebrated their 60 year wedding anniversary and had their pic in the paper (not sure which paper as I only have a cutting).
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

So we're looking for a Sarah Smith death around 1954, age at death 102.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

when off goolling and found this
              The History of the Queen’s Telegram
              The monarch has been sending telegrams relating to specific events since 1917; the purpose of which is to celebrate and mark in some special way the fact that a milestone age or anniversary has been reached in an individual or couple’s life.

Records and certificates - Telegram from the Queen - Wandsworth Council
              Qualifying for a Telegram from the Queen - The Centenarian (UK)

i would also surgest writing to palace to see if they keep records

tink
              wye surrey/london/birmingham
              lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
              hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
              ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
              herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
              armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Thanks everyone. Jules
                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  So we're looking for a Sarah Smith death around 1954, age at death 102.
                  Yes, if the info I was given about her being so old is correct. Can't find a thing though!

Jules
                  Jules

Comment

hi, I do have access to grimsby library but not sure how far back the papers go. If somebody can find her death perhaps I can find something in the local paper if she was still in Grimsby

Comment

What is Sarah's father's name and occupation on the marriage cert?

OC

Comment

Hi Jules

Welcome to the forum

Can I ask do you know when her husband died? do you have his death certificate? I was wondering if she was the one who registered his death, it might give a clue as to where they were living around that time.

off for a look
                        Vikki -
                        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

I think back in the 1950s, it was still the responsibility of the local Registrar to flag up potential hundredth-birthdays from his own records, which he presumably cross-checked to make sure they hadn't died!

So, if her birth was not registered then she wouldn't have got a telegram.

Whoever instigated it, it did have to be backed up with a birth cert.

OC

Comment

My grt grandmother had a telegram for her 100th in the mid 1950's, she lived in Lincoln at the time but was born in Norfolk so presumably it would have been notified by the family.

There is certainly a newspaper article (at the time she was the oldest resident in Lincoln).

Lincoln Library sent me copies of the article for 60p plus postage.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have found a few 100 year olds but nothing above that

1952 4th Qtr Sarah Smith 100 Wokingham

1953 2nd Qtr Sarah A Smith 100 Bradford

No Sarahs over 100 in 1951, 1954, 1955, 1956 or 1957
                              Last edited by vikki brace; 15-09-08, 15:30. Reason: Adding dates
                              Vikki -
                              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                What is Sarah's father's name and occupation on the marriage cert?

OC

His name is William. He was listed as a labourer.
                                on 1871 census he was living in Little Coates as an Ag labourer.
                                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                                  Hi Jules

Welcome to the forum

Can I ask do you know when her husband died? do you have his death certificate? I was wondering if she was the one who registered his death, it might give a clue as to where they were living around that time.

off for a look
                                  I haven't got confirmation yet of his death, I am about to order death cert for John B Smith age 85 in Grimsby in 1931. Hopefully this is him, if so then the chances are they were still in Grimsby when he died.
                                  Jules

Comment

Lincs FHS have the following entries for the name and county, the details may or may not have the ages quoted

1. Sarah SMITH, 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1955

2. Sarah Ann SMITH, 2 entries in Lincolnshire between 1950 and 1954

3. Sarah Elizabeth SMITH, 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1953

4. Sarah Ellen SMITH, 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1955

5. Sarah Jane SMITH, 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1960

6. Sarah Rebecca SMITH, 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1955

Also via the Familhistoryonline there are two inscriptions listed;

1. Sarah Ann SMITH found in Lincolnshire Monumental Inscriptions 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1959

2. Sarah Elizabeth SMITH found in Lincolnshire Monumental Inscriptions 1 entry in Lincolnshire during 1955

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Might be worth adding this site to your favourites too, if you have family in the area then the local bmd site is linked to the register office and online cert orders can be placed via the site too.

North Lincolnshire Council - Search for and order birth, death and marriage certificates online

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

If they celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary, I think that qualifies for a telegram from the Queen as well. I would write to the Palace to see if they do keep records.

Comment

Working...
                                        X