Western Australia help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Australia help please

My great-grandmother's second cousin Lambert BROWN seems to have emigrated to Australia some time between 1881 and 1901. He was born on 23rd July 1864 in Bow, London (parents William Marshall Brown and his wife Charlotte, nee Lambert). In 1881 he is in England, grocer's shopman, and I would guess he emigrated before 1891 as I can't find him on the 1891 census. Then he appears on the 1901 Australian electoral roll in Wittenoom Street, Perth. I can't see a marriage for him. He died in Perth 19th Feb 1948 and is buried at Karrakatta Cemetery. Age is 83 on the burial info which fits with his date of birth and also a couple of his brothers seem to have emigrated to Australia too - Walter Lambert Brown and Marshall Brown. Lucky for me they had such unusual names!

Can anybody help me find anything about when Lambert emigrated to Australia, please? I haven't managed to find him on passenger lists so far. Also, in 1906 he has a John Henry Brown and a Martha Brown with him, but I haven't managed to work out how they are related to him yet. In 1901 John Henry and Martha are both living a few doors away from him (together), and they are not with him on any other electoral roll, so I don't think Martha is his wife and John Henry his son.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Well I can't find any marriage in WA.

1901 Electoral Roll
    Lambert lived at 26 Walter St and he was a dealer
    Martha and John Henry lived at 36 Walter St and John was a contractor and Martha home duties.
    Kit

Comment

In 1906 they are all living at 328 Lord St and the occupations are the same.
      Kit

Comment

Yes, thanks, Kit, sorry I probably didn't explain properly that I had found him on all the electoral rolls, I'm just looking for how and when he went to Australia. I don't think he did get married so I'm not sure how he is related to John Henry and Martha.
        KiteRunner

Comment

in 1916 Lambert is living at Acton Ave Belmont, occ Poultry farmer. He is either alone or the other person/s have a different surname.
          Kit

Comment

Sorry Kate I misunderstood. Any idea who the William is on the 1925 electoral roll?
            Kit

Comment

You could try looking for him in the Post Office directories in case it narrows down the time scale a bit:

The Western Australian Post Office Directories

Comment

No, but that's the trouble with Browns, isn't it? He could be no relation at all! Maybe when I've sorted out Lambert's brothers it will all become clearer! Thanks for your help, Kit.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, and thanks for that, Mary, off to look now...
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                  X