Times Archive free access ending soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times Archive free access ending soon

Just had an email saying that the free access to the new online Times Archive will be ending this Thursday (18th Sep), so get your searches in before then! The prices for subscriptions after that date will be £4.95 for a "day pass", £14.95 for a monthly membership and £74.95 for annual membership.

I trust they have sorted out all the bugs by now if they are expecting people to pay?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

... and for those of you in the UK, don´t forget to check whether your local library has access to things like the Times Digital.
    Some libraries allow you access to newspapers etc. by logging into their website using your library card.
    Elaine

Comment

What a shame. The site wasn't as good as the one accessed through the Beds library, but it was better than nothing.

Bad news for those of us not in the UK.

Maybe that should be the next FTF project - to raise money for a communal Gale and Times subscription

Comment

That's a good idea. Wonder how much it would cost?
        Kit

Comment

Not sure whether the terms and conditions of Gale's site would allow it.
          KiteRunner

Comment

No idea - are we all that different from a library? Non-profit, research-based?

Comment

I would have thought one big difference was that a library has rules about who is allowed to join, usually people who live or work in its area, whereas the only rule we have is that members have to be over our minimum age, so if we did have a Gale subscription for all members to use, there could be loads of people joining (for free) just to access Gale's databases! Then of course, we are not a library...
              KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, true, I suppose it wouldn't really be feasible. Pity...

Comment

If we did it then only those who pay a fee to the site can have access. I'm assuming it wouldn't be too expensive if enough people chipped in. Charge a little bit extra and that way the extra can go to maintaining this site.
                  Kit

Comment

I'm afraid that wouldn't really work either, Kit. This site is based on donations only and Pippa has no intention of charging for the use of the site. I would also think that restricting access to certain members would be technically quite difficult to put in place and to manage.

Comment

I guess not. Just being wishful. I wasn't suggesting Pippa charge for the site but an extra dollar or so wouldn't hurt.
                      Kit

Comment

I've just found that it is available to me on my OU course website. Didn't know that, someone else doing a course pointed it out.

Comment

*signs up for OU course as quick as possible*
                          KiteRunner

Comment

*tidies up spare bedroom for letting*
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by geniedi View Post
                              I've just found that it is available to me on my OU course website. Didn't know that, someone else doing a course pointed it out.
                              There is loads you can access online through an ou account for free.......;)

Have you looked through their online library access page for all the databases that are useful Family History?

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                                That's a good idea. Wonder how much it would cost?

Kit.....I haven't found a Qld library yet that doesn't have the Times Digital Archive.....and Logan has tha 17th and 18th century Burnley Collection as well.

Join your library and register for online use. Then you can access all the databases (as well as searching the cat.) from home. They all seem to have Ancestry as well, but you have to go to the library for that.

Comment

If we cannot charge for it then is it feasable to make it time based? For instance, only those who have been members of this site for two years have access to these 'special' sites.

That would exclude me just now. I would have to wait about anouther year.

C'est la vie, Jimmy.

Hugo

Comment

It wouldn't work Hugo. It would cost a fair bit to have the sub and we couldn't expect Pippa to pay for it. Also realistically if we could get it on the site we would be overrun by people who just want to use the Times and then there would be problems. Just like Bedfordshire library got told they were breaching their licence.

I'm jut being wishful that's all. My library doesn't have access, at least not that I can see and definitely not online.
                                    Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                      Kit.....I haven't found a Qld library yet that doesn't have the Times Digital Archive.....and Logan has tha 17th and 18th century Burnley Collection as well.

Join your library and register for online use. Then you can access all the databases (as well as searching the cat.) from home. They all seem to have Ancestry as well, but you have to go to the library for that.
                                      what is a Qld Library and who or what is Logan.
                                      Excuse my ignorance.

Comment

I presume Qld is Queensland - and Logan is a city in Queensland (I think!)
                                        Both Kit and Harrys Mum are Aussie members.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X