This is odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is odd

Found a baptism for two sisters at St Giles in the Fields on 24 Oct 1897. They are Sophia Bertha and Amelia Clara Bathie, daughters of William and Mary of 2 Conduit Court, Long Acre and the birth dates are given respectively as 2 Oct 1885 and 2 Oct 1897.

I can't find anything on them on FreeBMD - the name is often down as Bathy/ Batty etc - but there are no suitable Sophia Berthas or Amelia Claras.

I have the family in 1891 at RG12 piece 214 folio 14 page 19 and there is an Emily aged 7 who I suspect is Emily Amelia Batty b Jun qtr 1883 Strand and who married in 1904 Pancras.

In 1901 the family are at 2 Conduit Court (RG13 piece 240 folio 61 page 3) and there is Sophie, aged 7 who marries in 1912.

I'm really not sure what to make of this - any suggestions?
    Asa

So this is the 1891 census entry, to save anybody else the bother of looking it up:
    3 Eagle Court, Pancras, London
    William Bathie Head M 50 Carman(?) General London St Pancras
    Mary Ann Do Wife M 36 London St Clements
    Elizabeth Do Daur 9 Scholar London C Clements
    Emily Do Daur 7 Scholar London Clerkenwell
    Harry Do Son 5 Scholar London St Martin
    Frank Do Son 2 - London St Martin
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And the 1901:
      2 Conduit Court, St Martins, Westminster:
      William Bathie Head M 65 Carman London
      Mary Do Wife M 45 Do
      George Do Son S 16 Warehouse Boy Do
      Harry Do Son S 15 Van Boy Do
      Frank Do Son S 13 Do
      Herbert Do Son 10 Do
      Sophie Do Daur 7 Do
      KiteRunner

Comment

There is a Sophia Beattie birth registered Jul-Sep 1894 Westminster which could be the Sophie who is on the 1901 census. Perhaps her date of birth was written down wrongly on the baptism? Or perhaps the birth registration is somebody completely different, of course!
        KiteRunner

Comment

And the most likely explanation for Amelia seems to be that she is Emily, again with her date of birth given wrongly. Did you find baptisms for the other children?
          KiteRunner

Comment

Asa

WHERE did you find the baptisms?

One or two of mine have "Sunday" names which appear only at baptism and never again! My Mary Emma (on her birth certificate) is baptised as Emilia Marie, pmsl) but known all her life to all and sundry as Polly, except at marriage when she is Emma Mary.

OC

Comment

Sorry - am at work and just popping on again:-)

Thank you, Kiterunner and OC

I suppose that's the only explanation - that the dates of birth are wrong and the names fancified. There's no doubt that they are mine.

There is a Sophia Beattie in 1901 born in Westminster c1892 but the birth registration could be mine.

The baptisms came from the PRs and the dates are very clear - haven't come across any of the others as of yet.
              Asa

Comment

Oh, the only other thing is there is a Clara Bathie who married in Pancras in 1924 and I have no idea who she is....
                Asa

Comment

Just wondering if their baptisms were Latinised - so Sophie was Sophia and Emily Amelia. I've found several of my rellies were Susanna in baptisms,and plain Susan on censuses!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell

That could be it too, although it's a bit late for that. It all seems too many could bes for my liking:-)
                    Asa

Comment

Could that marriage in 1924 be Amelia's second marriage? I know she should have remarried in her married name, but sometimes people didn't, they just used their maiden name.

The other horrid possibility is parallel families. They are a great affliction to me.

OC

Comment

I'll have to look that marriage out, OC - it's possible isn't it.

I'm very confident it isn't a parallel family - I have the parents of the two sisters at the same address as the family on the 1901.
                        Asa

Comment

Working...
                        X