Anyone with Tasmanian convicts ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with Tasmanian convicts ???

The lovely folk at Tasmanian Archives have made the images from the original ledgers of convict indents and conduct records available to view on line.

After you do your initial convict search, click on the database number on the left of the page and it will take you to another page with links to whatever records are available for your convict.

Records are completely downloadable so no more waiting months for your orders to be processed and even better, it's free !!! You can also print the page direct from site, but from experience you really need to print A3 or larger as the writing is often elaborate and cramped, making it very hard to decipher.

Tasmanian Convicts

Happy hunting !!!

After doing a search for Mary, l've worked out that unlike the later ledgers which are indexed first by ship and then in alphabetical order according to surname initial, the earlier ones appear to be indexed in a ledger of their surname initial, then entered according to year of sentencing/arrival. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rebs; 15-09-08, 09:55.

I think the Archives need a big Thank You.

Comment

Rebs,

Many thanks for that information.
      Have just printed the page relating to OH's 2x great grandfather who was transported from Dublin in 1842. The record is quite faint in parts but can make out most of the description.
      Here's hoping NSW will do the same with their convict records.

Comment

thats fantastic!! wish they'd put the pre 1850 shipping lists online for victoria!!

Comment

only pre 1850 Kyle ???

Other than my convicts, (bless their transported little souls) l've only ever been able to find the passenger recs for two of my families, the bulk of which arrived in Tas or Victoria in the mid 1800's.

Comment

from what you guys are publishing, it looks like you arn't having trouble with your convicts travelling to australia. and my families came to australia in the late 1840's

Comment

Thanks for that.
              Although my convict was NSW it means that there may be the prospect of more records coming on-line in the near future. Good news.
              It makes interesting reading anyway to find out more, in general, about the lives of the convicts and how they were treated.
              Thanks for bringing it to our attention Rebs.
              herky
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Is anyone else finding the site incredibly slow, or is it because I'm on dial-up?

It takes so long to load each image that it'll take me weeks to plough through the 400-page ledger to find the page with William Pool on it. There is a sort of index, but it doesn't seem to include everyone.

Apart from the slowness, it looks excellent, and the writing's pretty clear on the few pages I've looked at.

Comment

Working pretty fast for me Mary, so maybe it's your dial-up.

If you like, give me Williams ship and year of arrival and l'll find the page/s then pm you the page link so you can go directly there.

The reading can be very enlightening Herky. l have a 4xg grandfather who was transported at the age of 11. He received 5 stripes on the breech and 3 days in solitary confinement on bread and water for misconduct at Divine Service. Child abuse by todays standards.
                  Last edited by Rebs; 15-09-08, 07:45.

Comment

Very slow for me too and I am not dial-up.
                    I will try later as I am really just browsing for interest!
                    herky
                    herky
                    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks, Reb.

I'm interested in William Pool, no. 56802, who was transported on the Morley in 1822, arriving 1823.

The place of conviction should be Leicester.

At the beginning of the conduct ledger (p. 8) there's an index: the Morley's shown twice, but William isn't on either of those two pages.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-09-08, 08:28.

Comment

lol, these ones aren't in alphabetical order - bet l find your William on page 430. :D

Success !!! have pm'd you the link.
                        Last edited by Rebs; 15-09-08, 09:59.

Comment

OMG
                          50 lashes for being drunk !!!!

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Brilliant, Rebs, thanks very much. Off to have a look.

Comment

You're very welcome. If for some reason the link doesn't work, Williams records were on page 95.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                OMG
                                50 lashes for being drunk !!!!

and there;s absolutely no reason why this punishment couldn't still work today :p
                                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Ah, how annoying, I actually looked at the name at the top of that page and went straight onto the next one without scrolling down because I was getting so sick of waiting for the pages to load.

And I still don't know if it's my William Pool who disappeared from Leicester around 1820, because it doesn't give any relatives' names, as some of the other entries do.

Poor man got 100 lashes for absconding from his masters' premises.

Thanks very much, Rebs - I should have been looking for him for days without your help

Comment

Ooh, just realised the faint sideways red writing is part of the entry. The wretched thing won't print out - I just get a blank page, so I'm having to copy it into Paint and save it in sections so I can turn it sideways with an imaging program.

Comment

Oh, good heavens, I do believe this is my man - my GG-grandfather's brother, William Pool. I can't decipher everything, but I'm 99% sure that it gives the correct name and occupation for his father. He was convicted of housebreaking, and it wasn't his first offence.

This is my first confirmed convict. The strange thing is that my father was Australian, but I haven't found any convicts among his ancestors yet. William is an ancestor of my mother's, whose ancestors have all been highly respectable so far (gentleman farmers, two Sheriffs of Lichfield, and a city transport manager).

She would have been mortified :o

Comment

Darn ... I can't get back to find anyone else .... keep getting this

An Error Has Occurred

The search engine could not retrieve the settings for the requested search. Please contact an administrator for more information.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                        X