Scotish birth help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotish birth help please

Hi I wonder if any one can help me , I have found the death of a helen methven in the howff data base Helen methven age 19 died 24th jan 1847 age 19 . says her father is the late theophilus methven a baker (which is right ) They are buried together . I found her on the 1841 census with barbara methven who is theos second wife . Theos first wife died on 1803
    so I gather barbara is her mother . I have been trying to find helens birth looked on scotland people between 1827 and 1829 with no luck
    Barbara was married before to a thomson and has children from this marriage
    her maiden name was japp.
    Has any body got any ideas
    Thanks Tracy
    Twinklestar

Hi Tracy. Just checking - on ScotlandsPeople (SP) did you look in the Old Parochial Records (OPRs) fior Helen? They are baptisms, so you perhaps need to widen your search years a bit. Also, if she was christened in a church that wasn't Church of Scotland, there will be no record on SP.

Have you looked in the Wills section for a will that any of these folk may have made? And have you looked in the IGI? A lot of Scottish baptisms have been transcribed there.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi John I did look at old parochial records i will widen my search a little to see if i have any luck I have looked in the wills section of scotland people but not found one will for any of mine
      I will have a look on igi
      Thanks for your help tracy
      Twinklestar

Comment

It is possible that her birth was never registered and that she was never baptised.

One of my ancestors never was but I was lucky enough that she married in 1855 and her place and date of birth are on that cert along with a mention in brackets that her birth was never registered.

I see a marriage for Barbara and Theo 20th Dec 1827 in Dundee, Angus.
        He is transcribed as THEOPHILUS MEFFAN.
        With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Hi
          do you dubscribe to ancestry? sorry I don't but on a google search for theophilus methven I found this alexander methven = margaret forbes (scotland) 1700? - Methven - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com. I know its old but there is an email address further down. Could it be a connection??
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Ths is a good site for scottish questions. I haven't been a member for a couple of years but it used to have a free part and a subscription part - have a look
            SCOTLANDS FAMILY TREE(The friendly forum!) :: Home
            Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Hi Shaz yes thats the marriage you would be surprised how many different ways they spelt methven Jean yes thats me I have been looking for this family for some time , I have looked on the site you mentioned
              Thanks Tracy
              Twinklestar

Comment

Prehapes she never was baptised his other four children were from his first marriage but that dosnt really mean any thing really does it
                Tracy
                Twinklestar

Comment

Jean,
                  Thanks for the reference to SFT. I have never heard of it. I will probably join.

Hugo

Comment

Twinklestar,
                    There's an entry in the Angus Vol. 4 Monumental inscriptions from the Howff:

Stone 1432 - 1820 by David Japp in memory of his wife Jean Curr died 26.1.1820 age 67. (6.7.1842 Revisals paid by Alexander Japp, Seaman)
                    1842 - revised by Catherine Japp i.m.o.her father David Japp Feb. 1834 age 73, mother Betsy Morgan Sept 1796 age 28,sister Ann d. inf. (the last two interred in parish of Kinnettles), her stepmother Jean Curr 26.1.1820 67, sister Elizabeth Japp or Arnot.
                    (west side) Theophilus Methven 5.12.1836 age 61, daughter Helen 19.1.1847 age 19; Elizabeth Arnot 15.5.1847 age 39, husband Alexander McLeod.
                    Hope there are some names new to you among them.
                    Beth

Comment

Hi Beth thanks for the info I have got that piece thats how I found out theo had another daughter Helen Its just finding her birth which is the pain
                      Thanks again Tracy
                      Twinklestar

Comment

Working...
                      X