Register of Seamen's Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register of Seamen's Services

Can anyone tell me what you get for your £3.50? It's the first time I've come across a relative in there.
    Asa

I would imagine they vary greatly.
    I downloaded one a couple of weeks ago.
    Single A4 sheet
    - date of birth, place of birth, occupation
    - personal details, such as height / weight / hair / eyes / complexion / wounds
    - names of 6 ships and dates
    - a few comments in remarks column
    Elaine

Comment

This is probably easier - attached so that you can see it!
      Attached Files
      Elaine

Comment

Aaah thanks very much, Elaine - my bloke only has one page too. I've been trouble finding his marriage in the parish records and was hoping it might be similar to the army records.

Asa

Comment

One of the ones I have is similar but it was the description that I found interesting, A lady tattoo on his arm!
          Lynn

Comment

You may only get one page (and sometimes it's to say that he's unsuitable for the sea!) but there actually is a heck of a lot of information crammed into that page. It you got to Kew, you can get out the ships' logs and find out exactly where he went and when, what the weather was like etc.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Ah! The good ship HMS Pembroke again!! ;)

There might be some people who don't realise that not all the 'ships' named in the seamen's records are actually ships. HMS Pembroke was the name of the Chatham training base!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Ah! The good ship HMS Pembroke again!! ;)

There might be some people who don't realise that not all the 'ships' named in the seamen's records are actually ships. HMS Pembroke was the name of the Chatham training base!

Anne
                I hadn't got around to looking it up to check, but I was getting around to that impression. In fact, I seem to recall googling something about it a couple of years ago. Isn't there a special site with memories thereof? A sort of Old Boys site?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What a co incidence, my tattooed sailor was also on the HMS Pembroke & Pembroke II! The fact that I could find more info on him by looking at teh ships logs makes me want to go to Kew even more. I think I have enough to look for to spend a week there! :D
                  Lynn

Comment

Working...
                  X