Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a marriage -wrong?

hi, this has to do with my ingles.

i have a marriage for sarah ingle/conway's parents in 1834 shoreditch.

george ingle married sarah bilson

trouble is, someone on ancestry has the same tree, and the same marriage record. i got it frm the pallots marriage index. they say her name is bilsdon, and they researched her line back to the early 1700's.

and family search on the igi have the same record, but her name is bilsdon

any clues as to her surname? there is a sarah bilson born in 1808, which fits with the census info. there is a sarah bilsdon boornin 1812, which the owner of the tree has, which doesn't fit with the census. help?

Your best bet would be to get the birth certificate of one of the children, which would give the mother's maiden name. How can you be sure that you have the correct Ingle/Bilsdon marriage?
    If it is the right one then you would need to check the actual parish register to see what other information is available.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 14-09-08, 07:10.
    Elaine

Comment

Alternatively, you could see if the Guildhall Library would send you a copy of the marriage entry for a small sum (photocopy & postage should be cheaper than £7 for a birth cert).
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Is Sarah Bils/d/on Ingle on more than one census and is she consistent about her age?

Comment

1851 census has a George Ingle married to a Sarah who says she is born 1807 in Rutland.

HO107; Piece: 1477; Folio: 392; Page: 8

Comment

I would say that Bilson and Bilsdon are likely to be variants of the same name, so I wouldn't go just by what her surname is on the marriage entry but also which of the two Sarahs fits all the other facts that you have, plus of course check the burial register to see if either of them died young!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

sarah was born in 1808 in preston, rutland, according to the census.
              sarah bilson is born in 1807, preston, to john and sarah.

while bilsdon is born in ayston, rutland, 1812. to thomas bilsdon and mary bilsdon( mary's maiden name).

i guess i'll get a child's birth, as i need that anyway, but what if it's a spelling error? will i need the births of all four daughter's?

Comment

Have you tried to follow both of them forward through the census and possibly try to eliminate one of them in that way.
                Elaine

Comment

my ancestor married george ingle. he was born in leicestershire, and she was born in rutland. they were married before registration. im more likely to go with sarah bilson, because the dates fit with the census and pallot's index.

but, familysearch has the same record and calls her bilsdon. but the info doesnt match with HER baptism and the census.

pallots index just had the two names, is there more information, or is pallot's the original?

Comment

No, Pallot's Marriage Index is just an index taken from various records - sometimes from the parish registers but sometimes from wedding announcements in magazines etc. You would be best to check what it says on the actual parish register, although like I said, Bilsdon and Bilson might be variations of the same name anyway.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                    X