Tribal pages problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribal pages problem.

I have two free trees on TP. One is in my name, with my email addy, the other is in my brother's name, with his email addy. We both have each other's passwords and we can both edit each other's trees, although for the last couple of years, it has only been me that has done any input or editing to either tree.

I just tried to access "his" tree - and I can't, because of the new admin and access rules.

It seems that my email address is linked to my password on "my" tree, and I am only allowed one password, which doesn't work on his tree, neither does the password we set up for both of us to administer and edit it.

I managed to wiggle into his tree by pretending to be him, using his email address and our password for that tree. (I shouldn't be able to do that, that's a loophole in the security!)

Providing I can get him to co-operate (!!) what does he have to do, to let me be an editor on his tree?

At the moment, we have, for example:

My email...me@hotmail.com
    password knickers
    editors password pants - gets me into my tree.

His email...him@hotmail.com
    password vest
    editors password shirt - gets him into his tree.

If I try to get into his tree from

me@hotmail.com
    password vest
    editors password shirt,

it chucks me out and tells me I am neither administrator nor editor.

Help please!

OC

I don't really know OC, the recent changes on there seem to have put a real fly in the ointment, i have trouble finding the other trees my names appear in (not many i'll admit but that should make it easier).

I'm sorely tempted to say something about airing your dirty laundry in public :D:D:D

I'm sorry, i just couldn't resist that one :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Oooh, Glen, I KNEW I could deflect you from my real passwords!

TP is normally such a SENSIBLE site, but this "improvement" has me baffled really - what was wrong with the old system, which worked perfectly?

OC

Comment

O.C.
        you could try posting message on TP's problem forum and see if you get an answer. I don't like they way they change things and they seem to be getting a lot of folk complaining.
        This link might take you to the page you need.

Technical Forum - Family Tree Message Board
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

OC it might be easier just to use your brother's email and password.

Although it may be a case that you just have to restate email addys that have admin access. * disclaimer - I don't use TP *
          Kit

Comment

I didn't know that email addresses had to be used when logging in to edit a tree on there and I don't think I've had an email from them about any changes. Has this change caused problems for The Generations Game? Or am I wrong in thinking it uses Tribal Pages?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kate

I never used to need to provide my email address - I just went in via my favourites.

The tree which I can access without much trouble (that is, MY tree) shows my email address above the box where I enter my password. In other words, the entry page is now different from what it used to be.

OC

Comment

I don't think any of the other Generation game teams use Tribal Pages, I think they use GR and Ancestry. I don't use any of them.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Ooh yes, just tried going on mine and it asked for my email address.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Mine didn't, I just went in as normal.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I totally lost 2 of my TP trees and gained someone else's!!!

It took a full week for it to be sorted out - almost anyway, they never did remove the other person's tree!

The TP forum are very good at helping. The TP technicians watch the forum and put up answers.

Comment

I have just tried my TP tree and nothing seems to have changed but I only ever give out my password which allows viewing. I am the only one who can edit ( I think ) as it is a different password which I have never revealed to anyone.

I accessed it as usual through my faves.

I take it that TP are changing a few things around

Allie
                        Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

I have a few trees on there and have no idea what email addy I signed up with. I only remember the usernames and passwords. Now I have no access to any trees :(
                          Admitedly, I haven't used them in a long time, but that's not the point. My information is there. I should be able to access it when I want.

I don't like this new change. Usernames are much easier.
                          Tracy

Comment

I removed my tree from tribal pages when talk of these changes began. It won't go back on until I know things have improved.

Comment

Hi OC,

Under the new system l think your brother has to 'invite' you to be an administrator.

When you log in as a full administrator, under site maintenance there is a admin link, when you click on that it shows a list of who can admin the site and an option to add/invite others, and from here names and email addies of those you wish to give admin powers to can be added.

You could always go in through the back door and add yourself in.

Last edited by Rebs; 14-09-08, 23:09.

Comment

Rebs

You are my kind of person, you really are, thankyou for that!!

(However, doesn't this show up a flaw in the security!)

OC

Comment

lolol, you're welcome. :p

Still sussing this new system out, but l'm very interested to see exactly what powers these 'secondary' admins have and what parts of the site they can access. I can't remember where and when, but l seem to remember reading that invited admins will be able to add new people, info, photos etc to the tree, but won't be able to delete.

lmao - You might find yourself skulking in through the back door quite frequently.

*hands OC dark coat and mask*

Last edited by Rebs; 15-09-08, 02:47.

Comment

TBH, I think once you manage to get past GR and Ancestry and all their trees.....;) and finally get to tribal pages you have half an idea about whom you want to have access to your tree and don't want....

OC the only flaw in the security so far is that your bro has given you his password to access the tree....? Maybe I've got something wrong as even with the changes I still haven't had a problem accessing my tree....:o

Comment

The problem is with the new system of passwords. The admin password for OC's brothers account is connected to his email address and the new system only recognises this account and password combination which is why it wouldn't allow OC in using her own addy.

The site owner can add names and email addresses for those they wish to have admin powers, but l'm sure the admin level has been reduced compared to that of the site owner. l also assume 'invited' admins have a different password to that of the site owner to avoid folk going through the backdoor in the event they know the owners email address - as OC has done.

l haven't allocated any admin rights to anyone, so l'm not sure exactly how it works until someone who has under the new system can fill in the blanks.

One plus l have discovered though - l don't think it applied before?, is that for every tree you have registered using the one email account, as the main administrator you can now access all of those trees as a guest or admin using the one admin password. You can still access trees in a non-admin capacity using the guest password.
                                      Last edited by Rebs; 15-09-08, 05:59.

Comment

No, that was the problem, I COULDN'T access his tree using our old passwords, unless I used his email addy and pretended to be him, at which point I could!

The weak point here now is that I am able to use his email addy to get into the tree. It doesn't mind you changing the auto email address, which it ought to, or at least ought to have a bit more fuss about it. I simply wiped his out and entered mine.

Only the two of us have editor's rights to either tree, no one else does.

I still don't see what was wrong with the old system!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X