where can i get help with wills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can i get help with wills?

Hi everyone! Just wondering where i would find info on wills. Would like to know if any ancestors i am researching on my partners side had any? Wondering if anything that was 'left' would give me ideas if they had siblings?
    thanks

Tessie,
    There is some useful information in the wiki (reference library).

Click on the words The Wiki on the blue navigation bar, and put Wills in the search box (top left of screen) - click Go

Click on the heading Wills and Probate - scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find some useful website links.
    Elaine

Comment

where can i see the probate calendar?

Comment

Some county record offices have them. The full Calendar to the present day can be seen at the search room in at Principal Registry of the Family Division First Avenue House, High Holborn, London.

Comment

Might be worth contacting your local Records Office to see if they have it on film/fiche.
          Elaine

Comment

thanks i will be emailing on monday. I will hopefully be going to my local records office in a couple of weeks for the first time and i am a little nervous as i do not know what to do/expect. it says i should ring them before hand to give them an idea of what i want to see so that they can tell me if i need a lage table or microfiche/film reader. would they hold records of baptisms? What else can you find at the records office apart from bmd's?
            thanks
            (quite new to all this)

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
              thanks i will be emailing on monday. I will hopefully be going to my local records office in a couple of weeks for the first time and i am a little nervous as i do not know what to do/expect. it says i should ring them before hand to give them an idea of what i want to see so that they can tell me if i need a lage table or microfiche/film reader. would they hold records of baptisms? What else can you find at the records office apart from bmd's?
              thanks
              (quite new to all this)
              Remember the difference between a records office and a register office. A register office is where you can get birth marriage and death certs.
              A record office is where amongst other things you will find parish registers, baptism, marriage and burial.
              They will also have the full BMD indexes on fiche, same as you can see on Ancestry.

Comment

ooooh, tessie, you do well to be nervous!

County Records Offices are full of barmy people who mutter to themselves, cough, sneeze, faint, DIE, drop reels on the floor, throw up, cry, shout "eureka" and hug you, steal your place at the table when you get up to change books, tell you all about their fascinating relatives who made cardboard boxes for five generations, and so on.

So, don't worry, you will be fine and anything you do or say will not be thought odd by anyone.

View this first visit as a recce, to see what they have. Look at their website first and you will get an idea of the HUGE variety of records they hold, some of which won't be relevant to your research just yet.

Start off with a few parish record look ups because they are easy. This first visit will not be your last, I can promise you that, once you see the box of delights they have available.

OC

Comment

Aaaagggggghhhhhhh!!!! thanks for that OC! lol. They only have burials for that county though? The ancestors i am tracing so far come from London area, do I have to go to london for those? and what about baptisms will they only be for that county? I am not sure i want to go now! HELP

Comment

Yes, the County Record Office has records for their county only.

I have never done it but apparently if you have an office of the Latter Day Saints near to you (LDS) they can order records for you at a small charge.

Comment

In answer to your original question though. The probate calander will list all wills (I think)

Comment

thanks margaret!

Comment

Forgot to say the probate calendar starts from 1858. Hope you enjoy your visit to the record office, I promise you'll get hooked.

Comment

Yes, I regularly use my Family History Centre (LDS church) to order and view films of original parish registers, as my county of interest is too far to travel.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Yes, I regularly use my Family History Centre (LDS church) to order and view films of original parish registers, as my county of interest is too far to travel.

OC
                              Bet you don't go for the miniskirt look at the LDS church though OC, (memories of your tips for distracting the raincoat brigade have come flooding back to me)
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

*sniggers*

What an incredible memory you have, Glen!

The last time I went to a County Records Office - quite recently - it was like a rugby scrum as it always has been whereever I go.

Yet on WDYTYA there isn't a soul in the place. Someone tell me where the WDYTYA Records Office is, please, as I would like to find my relatives in peace and quiet AND get the microfilm machine that has a working handle!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  *sniggers*

What an incredible memory you have, Glen!

The last time I went to a County Records Office - quite recently - it was like a rugby scrum as it always has been whereever I go.

Yet on WDYTYA there isn't a soul in the place. Someone tell me where the WDYTYA Records Office is, please, as I would like to find my relatives in peace and quiet AND get the microfilm machine that has a working handle!

OC
                                  Good job you are the opposite end of the country, OC! I always get the microfilm reader with the ear piercing shriek. I try not to chatter too excitedly to my friends (and any stranger I can buttonhole) but I invariably break the copier too and all the librarians know that the silence rule does not apply to them.:p
                                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

I think there is something wrong with researchers who don't talk/shout/laugh/cry in a Records Office.

But anyone watching WDYTYA would think they are all hushed and hallowed portals with only one researcher and one assistant, and machinery which works perfectly, and the one obliging assistant who willingly goes down into the vaults to bring you some priceless antique of a document, which you can then lean on, breathe on, flick the pages etc at a whim.

None of that "Erm, I think that document is being conserved at the moment and won't be available till 2020 and the waiting list for it is closed" or "No, we are short staffed today and nothing can be brought out of storage, sorry dear" or "No, can't say I have ever heard of Pipe Rolls, sorry"

OC

Comment

I thought talking outloud to yourself, accosting people whenever you feel like it and hugging random people was compulsory when researching family history.

I think I scared some people last time I went to a cemetery as people walk through it as a short cut. I didn't know this fact and so was going to say hello to some woman until she avoided eye contact. The young boy was decidedly nervous about being in the cemetery with a strange woman and a camera and he started walking backwards to keep an eye on me. pmsl. The gang of school kids though did me in. Too many unfriendly people in one cemetery. :o I rang OH to come and rescue me.
                                      Kit

Comment

My favourite records office phenomenon is the couple at the reader next to you who discuss it all in loud voices all morning as the husband dictates it all to his rather deaf wife...
                                        Not to mention the films that have been wound on backwards

Janexxx
                                        Even so I love every minute of it all
                                        To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Working...
                                        X