Stray Holden spotted in Sussex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray Holden spotted in Sussex

I was leafing through my granny's Bedside Anthology of Sussex when I spotted the following extract from the Journal of Rev Giles Moore Rector of Horsted Keynes, Sussex (in Sussex Archaelogical Collections):

1676-7. 13th Octr. I marryed Henry Place and Mary Holden, my two servants, and spent at theyr wedding 20s.; I gave the fiddlers 1s., I also gave them a large cake, all theyr fewell, and the use of my house and stables for 2 dayes, with a quart of white wine, being in all not less than 40s., or one yeares wages. on 6th of Feby. following shee was delivered of a daughter, so that the whoare went but 15 weeks and 5 dayes after her marriage.

LOLOLOL!

All my Mary Holdens - well, most of them - got described as whores at some point in the records!

The Rector sounds ****ed off that he hadn't spotted she was pregnant when he married them and spent his 40s!

OC

Comment

Yes, I wonder if he asked for his money back! Interesting that as usual the woman is described as a "whore" and the man escapes censure.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

:D Bet he was gutted lol..

]

Comment

Not to mention the large cake and the quart of wine!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And don't forget the use of the stable!
            To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Working...
            X