Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me find my great uncle please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find my great uncle please?

I really need help with my great uncle Alfred George NEWEY He was born 27 Nov 1876 at 2 Carsington Street, Mayfair, London. His parents were in service.
    1881 and 1891 the family were living at 10 Edward Street, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire.
    1901 his parents were still in Burton on Trent but Alfred George, known as George, was missing.

Question: Where was he in 1901?

15 May 1907 he married Edith Eleanor MACK at The Register Office in Leeds , Yorkshire.
    Alfred:
    Address at time of marriage: 2 Ebberston Terrace, Leeds, Yorkshire
    Edith:
    Address at time of marriage:
    81 Bayswater Place, Leeds, Yorkshire

BIG PROBLEM

Alfred George was an “entertainer” on the stage. Did he use a stage name?

5 Nov 1907 they had a child George Edward NEWEY born at 39 East Parade , Ilkley, Yorkshire..

Apparently the marriage didn’t last long. In 1912 Alfred George travelled to America with his son on the S S Winifredian (listed as George) and returned later that year to leave his son with foster parents in Ludlow Shropshire. George Edward never saw his father again or his mother.
    Travelling with them on that trip was a Sarah Newey , who was she? His new lady friend? Alfred George (George) is described as a vocalist in the passenger list.

What happened to him? When did he die. What the heck happened to his wife Edith Eleanor nee MACK
    Nothing is known of her after the birth of her child.

Hi Margaret,

No one else seems to have any ideas, so I can only give you a few pointers, I guess. If he was an entertainer/vocalist, I think there are some theatrical type references available - there was a thread here or on GR about a theatrical family that I was reading which referred to different resources.

Sarah Newey could have been a new "wife". divorce was unusual in the early 20th century, but you could look in the Times online as divorce cases were reported. You should try to look for Alfred George in the 1881 and 1891 census to see if you can find him, too.

In 1901 if he was "on the road", then you need to hunt under all sorts of variations to his name. I found my great-grandfather in 1881 and 1871 just by searching his first name and year of birth, I scrolled through several dozen pages, it seemed like, until I found, a lodger in Eton, Berks, under Pater instead of Page. The other one, I only found him because I vaguely recognised a mangled place name. THen there was James E Cales, who was really James Eccles for whom I had hunted high and low for months !!

I will put this up then go have a look around for you

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Does it give Sarah's age on the passenger list?

Are the marriage witnesses related to either spouse?

Who were the foster parents?

Comment

do you know when edith was born and where?

Comment

what was alfreds parents names?

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
            Hi Margaret,

No one else seems to have any ideas, so I can only give you a few pointers, I guess. If he was an entertainer/vocalist, I think there are some theatrical type references available - there was a thread here or on GR about a theatrical family that I was reading which referred to different resources.

Sarah Newey could have been a new "wife". divorce was unusual in the early 20th century, but you could look in the Times online as divorce cases were reported. You should try to look for Alfred George in the 1881 and 1891 census to see if you can find him, too.

In 1901 if he was "on the road", then you need to hunt under all sorts of variations to his name. I found my great-grandfather in 1881 and 1871 just by searching his first name and year of birth, I scrolled through several dozen pages, it seemed like, until I found, a lodger in Eton, Berks, under Pater instead of Page. The other one, I only found him because I vaguely recognised a mangled place name. THen there was James E Cales, who was really James Eccles for whom I had hunted high and low for months !!

I will put this up then go have a look around for you

Di
            Hi Di

I do have him in 1881 and 1891, he is with his parents. It's 1901 I can't find him.
            I really have tried to find him but I reckon he went to ground that night

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Does it give Sarah's age on the passenger list?

Are the marriage witnesses related to either spouse?

Who were the foster parents?
              Hi Mary

In 1912, Sarah Newey was 38 and born in England, not much to go on.

The witnesses to the marriage to Edith were Ada Harrison and Lucy Hill. I have no idea who they were.

The foster parents only had son George for a short while. I don't know their names. I was told this by my 2nd cousin who was George's (the son) son. He said they treated his father badly and he was then put in a childrens home in Ludlow.
              He also said that his father couldn't believe that his father would abandon him and something may have happened to him. Perhaps he returned to the USA, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                do you know when edith was born and where?
                Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                what was alfreds parents names?

Edith was born in Leeds, Yorkshire about 1885. Her fathers name was Robert.

Alfred's parents were Jabez and Phillis Helena Newey. I have them on all census records available.
                Alfred was always known by his second name of George.

Comment

Can someone remind me how to access the Times online please. Haven't used it for ages.

Comment

Times Archive | Online Newspaper Archive of The Times from 1785-1985

Comment

Not having much luck here. I'll post the census references I've found so far, to save time for anyone else who may be looking.

1881: Alfred G Newey is with parents Jabez and Eleanor, and siblings Emily E and Charles E, in Horninglow, Staffs.

RG11; Piece: 2766; Folio: 45; Page: 39

1891: Alfred G Newey is with parents Jabez and Phyllis H, and siblings Edith M, Edgar and Frank J, in Horninglow, Staffs.

Class: RG12; Piece: 2205; Folio 115; Page 29

1901: Jabez and Phyllis appear to have separated.

Phyllis is still in Horninglow, with Edith and Edgar, calling herself a widow.

RG13; Piece: 2646; Folio: 32; Page: 17

Jabez and sons Frank and William are boarders in London. He's shown as married.

RG13; Piece: 2643; Folio: 131; Page: 29

Comment

Births Dec 1854
                        Newey Jabez Oakham 7a 209

Births Dec 1858
                        Rust Phillis Helena St. Geo Han Sq 1a 183

Marriages Sep 1876
                        NEWEY James St Geo H Sq 1a 660
                        Rust Phillis Helena St Geo H Sq 1a 660

Births Mar 1877
                        NEWEY Alfred George St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 373

Births Jun 1885
                        Mack Edith Eleanor Leeds 9b 519

Marriages Jun 1907
                        COOKSON Frederick Leeds 9b 1037
                        MACK Edith Leeds 9b 1037
                        MONSERRETT Mary Louise Leeds 9b 1037
                        NEWEY Alfred George Leeds 9b 1037

Comment

How do you know Alfred George was an entertainer? Was this on his marriage cert or his son's birth cert (or both)?

Comment

Hi Mary

You needn't have searched for all of those. I have them I could have posted them. :o

Just one correction, Jabez and the two boys wern't in London. They were boarding at 76 Varlow Street, Burton on Trent. That ref is correct though.

Phillis Helena died in 1903 and Jabez in 1912.

I have all of the certs except the birth cert of Edith Eleanor Mack.

Comment

How do you know Alfred George was an entertainer? Was this on his marriage cert or his son's birth cert (or both)?
                              A few reasons really.

Well known knowledge in the family. My mum always told me he was on the stage. His grandson, my second cousin, confirmed this as well.

His marriage cert lists him as a professional singer.
                              He is listed as a vocalist on the passenger list in 1912.

I have a couple of photos of him in what looks like naval uniform, it is stage clothes. He was never in the forces.

No one knows what happened to him, his grandson either. We have both checked the death indexes until after he would have been 100. Unless he died under another name of course, or emigrated.

Comment

A George Albert Newey travelled to the US in 1906.

Not sure if it's your man, because it gives his ethnicity as "USA", his age is slightly different, and his residence is "Burmingham". There's an Ada Newey, aged 21, also from "Burmingham", ethnicity "USA", on the same ship. Both shown as married.

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Comment

A George Albert Newey travelled to the US in 1906.

Not sure if it's your man, because it gives his ethnicity as "USA", his age is slightly different, and his residence is "Burmingham". There's an Ada Newey, aged 21, also from "Burmingham", ethnicity "USA", on the same ship. Both shown as married.

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
                                  Newey is a very common name in Birmingham, almost as common as Smith :D

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post

His marriage cert lists him as a professional singer.
                                    OK, fine, I just wanted to be sure we were looking for the right person. Presumably Jabez is listed as his father on his birth and marriage certs?

Can't see a death for his wife Edith - I take it nobody knows what happened to her?

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                      Newey is a very common name in Birmingham, almost as common as Smith :D
                                      Ah, right

I have loads of people in Staffs, and a few in Birmingham, but I'd never come across it before.

Comment

OK, fine, I just wanted to be sure we were looking for the right person. Presumably Jabez is listed as his father on his birth and marriage certs?

Can't see a death for his wife Edith - I take it nobody knows what happened to her?
                                        Yes, Jabez was his father.

Edith is also a mystery.

2nd cousin says he hasn't a clue what happened to either of his paternal grandparents, not for lack of trying either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X