Help And Advise Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help And Advise Needed Please

I have found these documents to do with my gg grandfather George Hunt at TNA when he was in the merchant navy they are crew lists for 1872 and 1873 when he was on s.s. Canada. I have had an estimate from TNA for 107pounds.45p this is around $268 AUD. eeeekkkk. I was wondering if anyone can help me as I only want the documents that refer to my gg grandfather and a possible reference to his service number so as I can get only relevant documents concerning him. Hope this makes sense to you.

Here is the link I ordered from.
    BT99/897 and BT99/811 are 1872 and 1873 crew lists for the s.s. Canada official no.(ON) 1285.
    The National Archives | The Catalogue | Results

I got this info and the link from a site I found called Clip

Thank you

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

See...I told you it wasn't scary here.

Not that I can help.....................

Comment

Does it make sense though Libby...pmsl

Comment

Yep...makes sense...don't worry, girl. Everyone is nice, they'll ask you if they need more info.

Comment

It looks as if the quote they gave you was for the entire record, rather than just the item you wanted!

I would have thought that it would be a fairly simple matter for someone to order the document and photograph or take a photocopy of just the relevant bit.

I thought that crewlists had been microfilmed, but the catalogue doesn't suggest this.

I have to say that crew lists can be the most terrifying documents. I looked at some from the 1840s. They were fragile and the edges were disintegrating. My desk when I had finished looked as if I'd been eating cream crackers.

I'd willingly offer, but I'm not sure when I have a free Saturday in the next month or two.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've never ordered anything from TNA before Phoenix so I could very easily have ordered the whole thing when all I need is documents that mention my gg grandfather.

Your offer to look for me is greatly appreciated and I do understand you have a life outside FH but thank you anyway mate.

Comment

Panda......did you just get the automatic estimate or did you email them about it???

I forgot to tell you, I emailed them several times to work mine out (I know, I know, I need to be told often lol).

Try emailing them by replying to the estimate. That way they'll have a reference and ask if you can get just the bit you want.

Ooooh....I did have an idea!!!

Comment

pmsl thank you Libby I will go do that...was a bit scared to click continue in case I activated the go ahead and ended up getting a divorce for spending $268 on dead people (my family's attitude)...pmsl

Comment

It wont let me continue unless I choose something to be copied Libby so think I will try the contact us and email.

Ok email gone
                  Last edited by MacPanda; 13-09-08, 12:14.

Comment

Can't help I'm afraid Panda but good luck with the new e-mail!

I am waiting for an estimate and had great difficulty explaining what part of the doc I thought I needed, so I'm not sure what I'll end up with!
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gillian and good luck to you to mate hope you get what you need.

Comment

When I ordered a copy of a log book for the ship my grandfather was captain of, the reference number was for the whole set and I specified which ship I was after in the bit on the form where you can put info to help them work out which part you want.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi KiteRunner, I did specify that I was interested in the parts mentioning my gg grandfather but I made the inquiry with the name of the ship s.s. Canada the years 1872 & 1873 and the Official Number of the ship. I seem to have been quoted on the whole crew contracts of the ship. I guess all I can do at the present is wait for an answer to my email. Thank you for your interest KiteRunner. The s.s. Canada was out of Liverpool down to City of Bristol and on to St John then to Boston in the notebook belonging to my gg grandfather.

For your interest

Comment

Thought I would give you an update.

I was asked to resubmit my request/order and reword it to specify pages showing George Hunt's name. Now waiting for an email from them telling me when the new estimate is available.

Comment

Originally posted by MacPanda View Post
                              Hi KiteRunner, I did specify that I was interested in the parts mentioning my gg grandfather but I made the inquiry with the name of the ship s.s. Canada the years 1872 & 1873 and the Official Number of the ship. I seem to have been quoted on the whole crew contracts of the ship. I guess all I can do at the present is wait for an answer to my email. Thank you for your interest KiteRunner. The s.s. Canada was out of Liverpool down to City of Bristol and on to St John then to Boston in the notebook belonging to my gg grandfather.

For your interest

oops got two mixed up there ... course was City of Bristol & Manhattan from Liverpool.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Hope they don't keep you waiting too long Panda and the records turn out to be good!

My denization papers arrived on Thursday (as I mentioned on the Wattlers). It took about two weeks from the time I accepted the estimate.
                                Gillian
                                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I have learned to be patient about things to do with FH Gillian...lol...first lesson I had to learn...lol

I meant to say something about that in Wattlers and it slipped by me sorry mate.
                                  It was great how it arrived at the same time as your Aussie rellies like you said what would the odds be.

Comment

Well I didn't get anywhere unfortunately. I would have had a better chance if I could get to Kew of course. My answer was that they couldn't find any documents mentioning my George Hunt in their search but I guess that would mean in the documents they searched among the ones they have in the time limit they search for free. Boy why did our ancestors have to do stuff so far away...rofl.

Comment

Bad luck Panda, but here's hoping someone will be able to have a look for you soon.
                                      Val

Comment

Thanks Val

Comment

Working...
                                        X