Information on Scottish Marriage Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on Scottish Marriage Certificate

I have a problem with some of the information found on a marriage certificate and wonder if anyone can advise.

Under the mother's information it states 'Margaret Fowlie, afterwards wife of Alexander .......' which I cannot make out to be that of her husband, Alexander McLeod, but perhaps it's just the awful writing!

But why add the bit 'afterwards wife of......' and just not leave it at her maiden name?

Any offers and apologies if I'm being thick!

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Hi Gwyn,
    I am not certain but I think it may mean that the bride's mother married after her child was born.
    It is also possible that Margaret was married x 2.

Just my thoughts , not knowing the full family history, I may be completely wrong.

And by the way you are not being thick, makes sense to ask if you are not sure.

Good luck.
    herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Yes (just realised!) I am being thick - I didn't make clear that this 'Margaret' was the groom's mother. Why add all the extra bumph which I don't understand anyway

Gwyn

Comment

Scottish certificates always give information about all 4 parents.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This is just the groom's mother Uncle John - the other three make sense - it's just this one which has me confuddled!

Gwyn

Comment

Question - am I allowed to attempt (!) to download part of the image to assist in my query - we're talking 1877, so it's not a recent event.

Gwyn
            Last edited by Oscar; 12-09-08, 20:42.

Comment

Gwyn was the groom illegitimate?

If so and he took his mothers name of Fowlie then it's just pointing out that His mother is is Margaret Fowlie but has since married Alexander Mcleod.

On one of My Great Grandmothers (Mary Houston) marriage certs it gives her Parents names as......

Robert Houston
              (Deceased)

Mary McRae, Previously Houston, MS Anderson.

Basically she was born Mary Anderson then married Robert Houston but since his death she had remarried and now had the surname McRae.
              With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                Yes (just realised!) I am being thick - I didn't make clear that this 'Margaret' was the groom's mother. Why add all the extra bumph which I don't understand anyway

Gwyn
                Meant to say.... you'd be surprised how this 'extra bumph' can help research.

Comment

Gwyn I tried to reply to your message but it wouldn't let me it said you have chosen not to recieve pm's so thought I better answer here :D

Yes go for it I will take a look

Comment

Oh Lord Shaz - I've tried again - see what happens! I've 'enabled contacts' as far as I know!

Gwyn
                    Last edited by Oscar; 12-09-08, 21:36.

Comment

Still can't message you Gwyn

I'm sure it's ok to put part of the image on here though as everyone else does

Comment

Ha, managed it!

Sorry for all the faffing about Shaz - I'm obviously doing summat wrong!

Gwyn

Comment

As Margaret's name wasn't given as McLeod, maiden name Fowler, I'd have interpreted this to mean she wasn't married to Alexander's father (assuming he was McLeod) but was married after Alexander's birth to the other Alexander whose surname I can't read.

Do you have a marriage for Alexander McLeod and Margaret?
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

It's Alexander Milne!

Alexander Milne, mason of Aberdeen is the name of my 3 x GGF, but this cannot be him as mine died in 1867, you will be relieved to know.

OC

Comment

Hi Oscar,
                              Not sure, but could the name be MILNE - quite common name in the Aberdeen area.
                              herky
                              herky
                              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                It's Alexander Milne!

Alexander Milne, mason of Aberdeen is the name of my 3 x GGF, but this cannot be him as mine died in 1867, you will be relieved to know.

OC

But it's Alexander Milne's stepson who got married in 1877, I think, so his stepfather could have died in 1867, couldn't he? Not sure if they would put deceased for a stepfather, apart from the fact that it doesn't look as though it would have fitted in the space anyway?
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh dear goodness OC

Alexander (him who was married! )was also a stone mason - the mystery deepens.

And thank you KR and Herky and Gillian - food for thought - why did I ever agree to do this???

Retires to bed to have nightmares!!

Gwyn
                                  Last edited by Oscar; 12-09-08, 23:40.

Comment

Ooooh Kate...let me get my notes...that Forbes St address is familiar..

(Incidentally, I think her name is FOULIS or FOWLIS, which is more common in Scotland than Fowler)

OC

Comment

Hm.

My (dead) Alexander Milne had a son, also Alexander Milne, born 1844. I have him till 1861, when he is a stone quarrier's labourer. I lose him after that.

Forbes St is the address of one of the daughters of this family, but after 1881.

This family is a nightmare as they all married at least twice, and the women used their maiden names routinely, married or not. They also harbour family members and call them lodgers!

OC

Comment

Hello Folks

My apologies for the late reply.

I'm going to send for the full certificate - the 'summary' is so hard to read.

It would appear that Margaret had Alexander jnr out of wedlock doesn't it? In his early years, I have him on the 61 and 71 returns as boarding, not with his parents, so perhaps that would fit into the picture.

I shall have to see if I can trace a marriage between Margaret and Alexander Milne now - happy days

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
                                        X