Any Hebrew readers here ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Hebrew readers here ???

I have some details of a Hebrew marriage which I need translated , anybody that can help please.
    I was going to put it on Jewishgen but that facility has been down since sometime in August and I'm impatient LOL

Have you got an Authorised (King James) Bible? I think you'll find that Ps 119 has the letters heading up each section. The only problem is that the phonetic sequence isn't the same as our alphabet - it starts more like Greek (which would be Alpha, Beta, Gamma) and is Aleph, Beth, Gimel. I only thought you might be able to make a start, while you're waiting!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You can use GOOGLE translate or a program called BABYLON that translates also.

Kind regards

Grahame

Comment

Originally posted by Grahame View Post
        You can use GOOGLE translate or a program called BABYLON that translates also.

Kind regards

Grahame
        Not sure how well that works with non-western alphabets. Have you tried it for anything like that?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You could paste or type some text on this post, I will give it a go!!

Grahame

Comment

sorry been busy
            thanks for your replies I cant understand it enough to write it down

this is one sheet
            The bit about Lazarus at the bottom might be what I need to know

Comment

another sheet

Comment

and as that may be upside down

Comment

It needs to be clear text for the program to work.

If you go to

Babylon - online dictionary and full text translation software

and try the trial version. It should work with clear Text>>

Grahame

Comment

thanks Grahame will try

Comment

Val

I can't really help you but I have had a thought.

Do you have a Synagogue near you at all?

Perhaps you could approach the Rabbi and ask his advise?

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you, but those online translation programs are rubbish, even for European languages. You need a human translator.

Comment

I am going to try that thanks Margaret , its impossible to translate it myself.

Comment

It's true to say that automated translators are highly unreliable: they can't usually deal with figures of speech, and words with same spellings but meanings identifiable only by context also present problems.

However, you might get a glimpse of whether or not what you're looking at is likely to be relevant.

Try googling
                            Hebrew translator online
                            and see what comes up. You won't lose by experimenting but, at best, it will be about as reliable as a submitted IGI entry.

Christine

The classic illustration of automated translation problems is:
                            Time flies like an arrow.
                            Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thanks Christine

Comment

Working...
                              X