External Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Hard Drive

When I copy my work to my external Hard Drive I am not too certain what the messages are asking me to do.
    Quote:~
    This destination already contains a file by this name.

Do you still want to merge this folder / with this one (2nd image of a folder).

YES SKIP CANCEL

Plus a box that you can tick for the next 5 items etc (that match the same title)

When I tick this box should I say YES or SKIP. To me it seems I should say YES but what happens when I say skip? Does this totally bypass the folders that have the same name even if the contents have changed.

Sorry I have not explained this one very well.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Your operating system is warning you that you may be overwriting an important file that already exists with one that you are copying over.

If you are copying over only one file, it will give you the option of yes or cancel
    If you are copying over a number of files it will give you the extra option of skip.
    The skip is your way of not copying that particular file but still letting the computer continue with all the others (unless it comes to another duplicate)
    Therefore, using skip will not update the file, but leave the old version there unchanged.

Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor,
      Many thanks that is really useful information and makes life alot easier. I usually try and update My Documents once a week and it is that sort of folder that I get this message.
      ***I am just updating the talktalk thread.
      Cheers,
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

You're welcome

Trev

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
        X