Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what a 'Flagmaster' is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what a 'Flagmaster' is?

Have recently found an obituary for my 3xG.Grandfather in the 19th Century Newspapers on line.

It says ." Mr Lewis Owen, age 57 Flagmaster under the commissioners of the Portsmouth Harbour Ferry Act."

Lewis Owen died in 1847 and his death cert. states he was a Broker. In and earlier edition of the Newspaper(1841) is a public notice thanking the Commissioners of the Gosport, Portsmouth and Portsea Ferry for electing him as the Superintendent of the Ferry.

Do you think this was a voluntary post he held and that Flagmaster is another name for Superintendant.?

Any thought on this appreciated.

Lesley

The Flag Institute

Maybe the above can help? Apparently they hold copies of the journal Flagmaster.

Comment

Had a quick look Jill but couldn't really find any answers there.

Thanks for the link anyway, will have another look.

Lesley

Comment

Would he be in charge of the signal flags?
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thought you might like to see a picture of the Gosport Ferry. It's the little green boat seen weaving its way across the harbour. HMS Warrior is in the background and the ferry is about to disappear behind an IOW car ferry.

Comment

Thanks for replies and the photo everyone!! Still none the wiser though!
            Off up the wooden hill now (as my Mum used to say) night night
            everyone.

Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley - I have emailed a friend of mine who has a book of occupations, and she has helped me out a few times. Let's hope she comes up with something about your flagmaster. I'll post here as soon as I hear back from her. Cheers, Val

Comment

Val and George........Many Thanks! I wait in anticipation!

Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley, I haven't heard back from my contact on GenesR as yet. If I do, will I start a new thread headed Flagmaster? Didn't want you hanging around this one for ever - as I may not hear back from her? Best wishes - Val

Comment

Hello Val and George,
                    Many thanks for trying anyway. Still no closer to discovering what a Flagmaster or even Flag master is!

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                    X