When searching parish registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When searching parish registers

I do find it sad when I see such things as "two weeks old, service not read". Why couldn't the service have been read?

Then the next two had the same surname, same date of burial ..... I moved the fiche along and saw twins. That was sad, too.

PS Don't think this is Research Advice really but didn't know where else to put it.
    Joy

Possibly service not read because child hadn't been baptised? It is sad, so often parish registers tell very sad stories, don't they?

I was quite upset when going through London parish register to find baptisms for a child called Rose Milton (because she'd been abandoned in a lodging house in Milton Street) and one called Mary Road (because she was literally found in the road).

I suppose they were the lucky abandoned children as at least they survived long enough to be baptised.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Possibly service not read because child hadn't been baptised?
      I think that's 99.9% likely to be the reason. Also, the churchbell would not be tolled at the burial if the dec'd was not baptised.

Comment

Rarely, the reason the burial service was not read was because the deceased was not of the faith. (So, not baptised C of E, of course!)

This happened probably in the more rural areas. Burial had to take place within a few days of death and they couldn't hang around waiting for a Catholic Priest, or a non conformist minister or whoever, and there would be no other burial ground available.

Sometimes the Vicar marks these entries - I have seen "Papist" and "Hebrew" for instance, although these were adults of course.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X