Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you link two families on GR

Hi

I have just found out that two sisters married two brothers and am trying to put them on my GR tree..... I can go 'up the sprig' adding parents etc.. but can only manage to link either the two sisters but not the two brothers??

Any advice??

Many Thanks

Tracy

You can't do it on the GR treebuilder.

You will have to do it on your pc family history programme, then upload that to GR.

OC

Comment

I've never relied on GR as my main tree, and I think this is one of the limitations. If you have your main tree on your own computer, any of the common genealogy programs will elt you do this. FTM certainly does and I presume PAF (free) does. I upload GEDCOMs off my main tree to GR, Tribal Pages and the GEDCOM database here.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Snap!

Comment

The GR tree builder won't let you do it by entering names, these "inter family" marriages are too complex for the tree builder they use.

If you have a family tree programme then you could enter them and all the relationships would work out correctly, it sounds odd but if you then upload a gedcom from the software programme to GR it will then show everything correctly.

As has been posted in several threads, you should really use a programme anyway, you have facilities for backups and have control over your tree which online tree sites cannot offer.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Snap squared!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Snap squared!
              Beat me to it :D

Thankfully we are all in agreement!!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

To be quite honest, I started my computerised tree before GR came along, using a DOS version of FTM. If I was starting now, I don't know whether I would think to do the same again.

Comment

I think one of the problems is that GR attracts newbies first and foremost and they eagerly enter their trees as soon as they join up.

It is only as their research progresses that they realise the limitations of the GR tree builder.

For me, GR was my first foray into the world of internet trees and I had no idea of the snags I would encounter, privacy being at least one of the snags, inter family and cousin marriages being another!

OC

Comment

OC
                    I too started on GR but soon realised it's limitations.
                    However, my maternal grandparents were cousins and even FTM shows both sets of GGrandparents twice in a tree.
                    Does anyone know a way to resolve this or do I just have to live with it?
                    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
                      OC
                      I too started on GR but soon realised it's limitations.
                      However, my maternal grandparents were cousins and even FTM shows both sets of GGrandparents twice in a tree.
                      Does anyone know a way to resolve this or do I just have to live with it?
                      Select one of the "duplicate" people. Then go to People and select "merge two specific individuals". Select the duplicate person from the list. FTM then shows what it has for each person. If you then merge, they get linked properly. You then need to go to that person and make sure you have all the correct information.

Repeat for each pair of duplicates.

I used it the other day when I found an "unknown" wife was someone else's daughter.

Comment

Thanks John
                        I will try that tonight (I'm at work at the moment and shouldn't really be on here)!
                        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Working...
                        X