Thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts please

I have found "my" !! Ellen Mawdsley`s marriage to a Thomas Owen, in 1878.

In the 1881 census I find Ellen and Thomas living in Ruff Lane, Kirkby. He is a farmer of 15 acres.
    Ruff Lane, (Rough Lane) Kirkby, is the home of Ellen before her marriage to Thomas. Ellen should only be about 25 at the time of this census but is recorded as being 43 !!!. But by the time of the 1891 census, she is the "right" age.

In the 1891 census I find that Ellen and Thomas now have three children, and they are living in Ribbers lane, Kirkby. Thomas`s occupation is recorded as "Forester".....This seems a far cry from being a farmer of 15 acres.

Your comments welcome.

Kathlyn
    Last edited by Kathlyn Maudesley; 11-09-08, 17:39.

Well, it mightn't mean he owned 15 acres, just that he was a tenant farmer. A forester would look after the forest on a gentleman's estate, or a large local forest. Quite possibly he had previously rented his farm land from the same chap whose forest he tended.

I have a few rellies who move about from gamekeeping to ag labbing or farming smallholdings to being road labourers.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for your reply Little Nell.

Kathlyn

Comment

There was a huge agricultural slump from the 1870s onwards. Many men changed occupation, gave up tenancies of farms, did what they could to find work.

There was a survey of freeholders of land taken, I think, in 1873. Look to see if Ellen's family was owning land then (lots of counties have published their bit and you can probably find a copy in bigger libraries or even online)
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
        X