Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting a dead end at Australia

Any idea guys, i have gone back on my Mum's side to her Grandad a:

Edward John Sheeley - Born in Sydney Australia, 1881 - 1937, he married a Mary Samuel 1881 - 1970 , in this country i think, not sure. How can i get any further without traveling down under! lol....

Any ideas what my next plan of attack should be?
    Thanks guys and i'm sorry to be a pain in the you-know-what

Sorry had to edit the E, mis spelt Sheeley!! lol
    Last edited by Myroots; 16-09-08, 10:27.

Mary Sheeley's death (has the extra E)

1970 Q3 Cardiff 8b 1024 dob 18th Dec 1881.

Marriage:

Mar 1908
    AH Chong Cardiff 11a 546
    CHONG Ah Cardiff 11a 546
    SAMUEL Mary Cardiff 11a 546 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Sheeley Edward Cardiff 11a 546 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    THOMAS Ethel Frances Cardiff 11a 546

Comment

There are several Mary Samuels born around the end of 1881 and they all have a middle name! The 1908 marriage cert would give you the names and occs of both their fathers which should help locate the right Mary Samuel on the 1891/1901 census.

Do you know which state in Australia Edward was born? (it doesn't seem to be NSW!! lol)
      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 11-09-08, 13:46.

Comment

Can't find his birth in NSW.

Comment

Are you sure Edward was born in Sydney? I can't find any record. Also is Sheely the correct spelling or do you have any idea of any mis-spellings?
          Kit

Comment

No luck with Sheeley either
            Kit

Comment

He's not listed in the WW1 service records on the Australian National Archives site, so presumably he stayed in the UK after his marriage.

I think you're going to need his marriage cert, which will give his father's name - then we can hopefully trace his parents in Australia.

Comment

Nothing in WA and QLD indexes aren't working for now.
                Kit

Comment

Whilst I was looking......

1937 Q2 E Glamorgan 11a 836 Edward Sheeley aged 56

Note he doesn't have a middle name recorded for marriage or death. I see his son was Edward J though

Comment

These are the closest matches I can see in NSW - how sure are you of his date and place of birth?

24566/1881 SHEEDY / MICHAEL EDWARD / MICHAEL / MARY / LAMBTON
                    9952/1881 / SHEEKEY / EDWARD ARTHUR / CORNELIUS / MARY ANN / GOULBURN

Comment

I think you'll need the marriage cert unless you have more info on the Aussie side.

I've tried ancestry and findmypast shipping records as well but no luck.
                      Kit

Comment

There is one male E Sheeley reg for birth in the UK in 1870 (no more up to 1906), but, unless this record is for that man, it's probably for yours!

WW1 Medal card for E Sheeley states he was a Corporal in the Royal Field Artillery (28123) and in the Military Foot Police (P/15747)

Ancestry are uploading surviving WW1 army records, but they haven't got to the S's yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Mary Sheeley's death (has the extra E)

1970 Q3 Cardiff 8b 1024 dob 18th Dec 1881.

Marriage:

Mar 1908
                          AH Chong Cardiff 11a 546
                          CHONG Ah Cardiff 11a 546
                          SAMUEL Mary Cardiff 11a 546 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                          Sheeley Edward Cardiff 11a 546 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                          THOMAS Ethel Frances Cardiff 11a 546
                          I'm not sure what that means ^^^^^ lol..

I can't believe how helpful all you guys are!!! i really can't! i know i have said it but i really appreciate it so, so much!

Sorry for the confusion the name is SHEELEY

Comment

There's no Sheeley born in NSW either :(

The record Merry posted above was the marriage of Edward and Mary, from FreeBMD:

FreeBMD - Search

There are usually 4 marriages to a page, listed in alphabetical surname order. Each person on the page married one of the other three, and you have to use various stratagems to work out which one.

Comment

Why do you think he was from Australia?
                              Kit

Comment

Mary Samuel was from Cardiff, i do know that

Comment

Mary I checked Sheely and Sheeley in Vic, WA and NSW. Cant do QLD now. Anyone have SA indexes?
                                  Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                                    Why do you think he was from Australia?
                                    Again, someone in my family said, my Aunt, which Edward would have been her Grandad, sadly my mum passed away when i was younger ( i'm 28 now) so i can't even ask her...

Comment

Mary and Edward had at least 3 children. You probably know who they were, but if not, on FreeBMD put Edward's surname in the surname box, Mary's maiden name in the maiden name box, and search for births.

This only works from mid-1911, when the mother's maiden name was added to the birth index.

I haven't posted the names here, in case any of them are still alive.

The records on FreeBMD only go up to the early 1920s - after that, you have to search the complete index on Ancestry.

Comment

Maybe he wasn't actually born in Aust. He may have been born elsewhere and went there as a child, although I can't find any passenger records for him.

I've also checked LDS - no record there either for the marriage.
                                        Kit

Comment

Working...
                                        X