Setting wireless network security.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting wireless network security.

I really dont know what Im supposed to do here.

Eldest boy has come for a couple of days with his laptop. He is sitting downstairs using my wireless connection apparently and tells me I really should password it so that others cant access it.

Now I have a netgear router and the network goes through to my youngest sons bedroom. He took the little aerial off the router to - so he told me - stop anyone accessing wireless.

My eldest son has indeed fixed back the litte aerial to the router before he could use his laptop downstairs.

But how do I secure this then - I dont want NFH getting into my puter or system.

Ive tried all the Help stuff but I keep getting directed to Netgear but they ask for my password and user name which I have no idea of.

Help - please

sent you a PM, but would need the model of your router to know what IP address to acces to open the settings page

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Trev, this is what it says:

NETGEAR DG834G

When I click on that on my network thing on here, I get this:

A user name and password are being requested by http://192.168.0.1. The site says: "NETGEAR DG834G "

I have no idea of the user name or password :(

Comment

that is not a site, it is the actual access to the router itself.

If you have not set a pasword when it was installed, it will be using it's default setting.
        I'll look it up and help tonight

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

please look at the sticker under the router to see what version of router it is.
          You will find it says DG834GV# (Hash being the number)

Researching:

Comment

What you need is a network key, I know this won't be much help but mine was installed when I set up the router and I also found it was printed on the bottom of the router; this is the password that someone needs to be able to use your wireless network.

Who ever set up your router would have needed a user name and password.

Did you buy the router or was it provided by your ISP as they might help.
            Kathleen

Comment

Instructions on what to do have been sent to you in PM

Trev

Researching:

Comment

Very many thanks to Trevor who helped me set up the password key and also to configure sons laptop. I feel much happier now when I saw "restricted " on his lap top before he entered the password key. I could see NFH's was secured and now mine is

Comment

Glad to have been of help.

I have had so much free lookups etc from the forum members, I'm always willing to help with PC problems as my way of repayment to the forum.

Trev

Researching:

Comment

when you get a minute Trevor could you please help me do mine ???? thanks

Comment

This is something that has been bothering me recently. How can I tell if my wireless connection is secure? My laptop is Vista & my desktop is XP, although I rarely connect through the desktop. When I set up our 2 laptops, I entered a WEP key.
                      I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Comment

Look on network connections in control panel. then view available networks.

It will show you all networks that are within range including yours. It will also say if they are secure or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X