does this look like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this look like

hi just a quickI have found my Wakefield Evans in the 1901 census please can you look and tell me if the mother reads to you as Jemima or Maria ref
    Class RG13: Piece 2827: Folio 95: page 33

I do not want to change it if I am reading it wrong
    Thanks

Laura

I would suggest that they started to write the 1st daughter's name J... then realised they had missed out mum & altered it to Maria???? What does the 1891 census say?
    Bridget

Comment

Looks like Maria to me, Laura. If you look at the first letter, it is just like the M at the beginning of Minnie and Marion - if it was a J then it would have a big loop below the line like the beginning of John and Jessie do on the same page.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

He's shown as William in the census. His wife's name begins with M and ends in a, but I can't make out the middle bit.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

her name is Jemima everything is the same bar a year or two and jemima does not die until 1917 Caroline I think is Marion but still not sure

Laura

Comment

I wonder whether the enumerator had trouble reading the handwriting on the householders' form and copied all the names out wrong?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X