X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Wilson from Yorkshire

Hello,

Newbie here, as you probably will be able to tell momentarily :D

I am trying to find out where George Alfred Wilson was born, who his parents were and any other info.

I know he was born on Jan 27, 1915 and his death is registered in the first quarter of 1977 in Birmingham. I have looked on the BMD's and found a few George A.'s and have narrowed it down to three. I'm pretty sure he is from Yorkshire so that is where I am focusing.

I also know that he was married to maiden name Bray, registerd in the first quarter 1951.

I have chosen two George A.'s from quarter one and one from quarter two.
    If he was born at the end of January when would his parents have had to register him? What would be a good way to pin down which George is him?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Gillian

Hello Gillian and welcome.

I think his parents would have had six weeks to register the birth.
    I expect someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to help further.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hello Gillian........Welcome to FTF.

I'm not sure about who had to register babies. Nearly all mine are in Australia.

Have you trawled the 1951 index for a Bray marriage and then tried to match it up with a Wilson. You'd have to trawl throught he complete index.

If you can find the marriage, you could buy that certificate (7 pounds) and get both fathers' names.

Not sure where to go from there. I've been spoilt with Aussie certs, I'm afraid.

I'm sure someone with more ideas will answer you soon.

Comment

Hi Gillian,
        If he was born at the end of January then his birth should have been registered in the first quarter of the year.

You would be well advised to get his marriage certificate before his birth certificate, so that you can be sure if the birth cert is the right one, i.e. the father's details match. Also, when you have his father's name from the marriage certificate, you will be able to check the name against possible marriages for George's parents to see which ones fit, because the mother's maiden name is shown on the birth index for 1915.

When ordering the birth certificate, you will be able to specify "checking points", so that if it is the wrong certificate they won't send it. You could specify that the middle name has to be Alfred and the date of birth has to be 27 Jan 1915.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Good morning,

Thanks so much for the welcome and for the tips.

I have found the Bray marriage and her first name. I have no idea when she was born so I will be guessing and going through LOTS of years.

I am really enjoying searching but my eyes sure are suffering LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly_billy View Post
            Good morning,

Thanks so much for the welcome and for the tips.

I have found the Bray marriage and her first name. I have no idea when she was born so I will be guessing and going through LOTS of years.

I am really enjoying searching but my eyes sure are suffering LOL!
            Not quite sure if I understand you rightly, but if you mean you are looking for the birth registration for Miss Bray the bride, then again, I would say get her marriage certificate first as that may well tell you her age when she got married. (Also her father's name.)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kiterunner.
              I will be ordering the marriage certificate. Probably save me lots of time.

Comment

Working...
              X