Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great forum, any help please?

Hello all,

I am new to this and i am having trouble already! lol... i have joined the sites like Genes reunited and Ancestry (Free trial) but i am struggling, i have only got to my great grandfather, i know his name, year of birth and who he married, but when ever i do a search on the sites and pay to view the file it just states his name, what i am looking for is to try and find his Mum & Dad so i can then start the trail of my tree?

Does anyone have any ideas what i'm doing wrong? or any advice?

My great grandfather was called William Nicholas - Born c1900 in Cardiff i believe, he married Gertrude Dyer - Born 1899, but when ever i try and search them i get nothing but their name no parental info?

Thankyou guys for you're time, any help would be a massive help,

Paul

hi, i am having the same trouble and have also just posted below you. I don't know why but at this time mothers maiden names are not given like in later dates (i.e grandparents, parents etc). Hope someone can answer us both in due course!

Comment

Hi and Welcome - glad you got in OK. I'm afraid everyone is watching WDYTYA? on BBC1! lol

This will be the ref for their marriage:

Marriages Jun 1921
      Nicholas William E spouse surname: Dyer Cardiff 11a 631

From FreeBMD. The marriage cert would provide the father's names for each party.

Anyway.....birth reg:

Births Mar 1900
      Nicholas William Edward Cardiff 11a 366

From 1901 census parents seem to be Banjamin J Nicholas (38 Gen Labourer, speaks English and Welsh) and wife Winifred (35 speaks just English).

I don't know if you have access to Ancestry? If you do, the census ref is:

RG13; Piece: 4981; Folio: 140; Page: 26

Comment

I don't know if you have access to Ancestry?
        Sorry, I just read your post again!

Comment

Mothers' maiden names were only given in the BMD indexes from mid-1911 onwards.

Once you've found a birth, marriage or death in the index, the only way of finding more information is to buy the cert (ยฃ7 if you order online from the GRO and quote the volume and page number).

However, if you can find the person you want in the censuses, you may be able to find their parents that way.

Comment

Hello Myroots and welcome!

If you have a free trial on ancestry why are you paying to view anything?

To find his parents you would need to buy his birth certificate for verification.

If you have his marriage info you can buy the marriage certificate for ยฃ7 from GRO online and that will give his fathers name and occupation, his place of residence when he married/his age/occupation plus the witnesses names.

I am wondering if you are just looking at the marriage ref and thinking you will see all this info on there.

But I still wonder what you are actually paying to view?

Give us his details and we will have a look for you.

Comment

Hello Paul and welcome to FTF!

You will need to get the marriage certificate of your great grandparents. That will tell you their father's names and you should then be able to find the families easily on the 1901 census and backwards.

Do you know how to find the marriage in the GRO indexes? If not, shout and someone will talk you ythrough it.

OC

Comment

LOL, you can tell Ainsley Harriott has finished

Comment

Hello both of you.

What you need to do is find out as much infomation as you can before getting pre 1901.

In the case of William Nicholas I would advise finding his marriage so that you know how old he was and what his father's name was. This means that you would then be able to find a likely candidate on the 1901 census and then order his birth certitficate.

Do you know when William died? If it was between 1984 - 2005 then he will be in the transcribed indexes on ancestry, if it was before 1984 you would need to search the indexes manually. If it was late 1969 or after then his date of birth will be in the indexes, but this is only as good as the person registering the death.

How do you know he was born c1900 and Gertrude was born 1899?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

It looks like WDYTYA? is over :D Welcome Myroots and Tessie

Comment

Give poor myroots time to read all these first I think

Comment

Welcome Paul and Tessie sorry that was bad timing for your 1st posts everyone watches who do you think you are on BBC1 on wed night ;;;welcome to the site you will get plenty of help on here and pointer to the right way to find and do things ;;
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi guys,

Wow what a great response! some very good advice, thankyou!

I will now try and get the marriage cert from my local office if they have it? if you order online don't it take 3 weeks ??

I got their year of birth from my Aunt, but she remembers that some one on the Dyer side of the family was the Lord Mayor of Portsmouth, but i tried finding him but the records only go back to 1920's for some reason?

Really thanks again!

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul & welcome to the site!

I have a distant cousin George Edwin Couzens who was Lord Mayor of Portsmouth in the 1890s and I'm sure I verified this online, though I can't remember where. If Googling doesn't help, then Portsmouth Library ought to be able to point you in the right direction (they are bang opposite the Guildhall)

Family stories do get mangled along the way. My brother was named after this famous relative.... and has the middle name Curzon. Most of the letters, not necessarily in the right order.

Good luck in your researches!
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, knowing my family, he proberly just clean the Mayors office one day! lol...

Is there a way to look up the Portsmouth link online? i tried the Portsmouth council but nothing...

Good luck to you as well!

Comment

This looks like a list of the mayors and lord mayors:
                                Memorials and Monuments in Portsmouth City Centre (The Mayors and Lord Mayors of Portsmouth)

I can't see a Dyer on there but there is a Charles Dye 1906, could that be him?
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  This looks like a list of the mayors and lord mayors:
                                  Memorials and Monuments in Portsmouth City Centre (The Mayors and Lord Mayors of Portsmouth)

I can't see a Dyer on there but there is a Charles Dye 1906, could that be him?
                                  Thankyou for you're time! that could be him, also it could be his daughter Gertrude who was born in 1899 so it's possible! maybe a mis spelling?

Now to try and find Charles on FreeBMD..LOL

Comment

I'm confused, a google search has brought this:

Gertrude Amy Dyer Portsea - Google Search

The second item on the search looks like this

Portsea, Portsmouth & Southsea Baptismspage 119 no 151 December 10 1871 Amy Gertrude daughter of William & Ann ...... 25 1878 Robert George son of William & Martha DYER Lombard St Office Clerk ...
                                    Portsea, Portsmouth & Southsea Baptisms - 759k - Cached - Similar pages
                                    More results from Welcome to Knightroots ยป

But i can't find Gertrude Amy on there??

thanks for any advice

Comment

The problem is that you didn't put quotes around her name in your Google search, so it has searched for anything that contains all those words, not necessarily in the order that you wanted them. So it matched to that page because there is an Amy Gertrude on there, and a Dyer on there too.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                        The problem is that you didn't put quotes around her name in your Google search, so it has searched for anything that contains all those words, not necessarily in the order that you wanted them. So it matched to that page because there is an Amy Gertrude on there, and a Dyer on there too.
                                        Oh ok thanks,

I just put " marks and it comes back as nothing? i know she was from Portsmouth, Gertrude amy Dyer 1899... thought that would bring something! also on FreeBMD i can't open the little Glasses link that shows you the results? my be a problem with the site

Comment

Working...
                                        X