I am stuck- where to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am stuck- where to now?

Hi, as I have said before I am quite new to this and have now come up against a few brick walls!
    I am researching my fiances family starting with Hatch (fathers side). Without going into too much detail his father (alfred) was in the army (based in windsor, we will be making a journey there soon hopefully to gather his army life as they have all records of everyone in the army based there) and eventually my father in laws parents divorced (no dates). My father in law lost contact and we do not know what happend in those missing years as it wasn't talked about before he died (he remarried got the dates etc). Going back further I have g.grandads birth and marriage to florence higgs (g. grandmother and her birth). We do not know whether he was in the army (and wouldn't know how to find out). Now I get stuck, on their birth records there are no mothers maiden names, so how do I now go back further without this information? I am also trying to find any siblings for alfred and eventually for his first wife (grandmother), is there any easy way or do i just need to trawl through the years one at a time?
    Thanks for your time and i am sorry its so long i just didn't know how to word it any other way!
    Tessie

Going back further I have g.grandads birth and marriage to florence higgs (g. grandmother and her birth
    Can you give what info you have for this part?!!

(and welcome! lol)

Comment

they got married sometime 3rd quarter in 1926. Alfred C Hatch b. 1904 S. Richmond and Florence Ida Higgs b. 1905 Kingston. Will I need to buy the marriage cert.? Thanks

Comment

Yes you need to buy certificates to verify information and follow the line backwards.

Comment

thanks heather

Comment

You can do that online

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

with a debit or credit card

Comment

If you can find their birth cert refs to could buy those for both parents names, the place of birth, dads occupation.

Have you found them on freebmd?

Do you have ancestry for checking census records?

Comment

You need to budget for both the birth certs too!! Never pay more than £7 for a cert. If you are being billed for more you have done something wrong!! lol

Comment

Births Dec 1904
                  Hatch Alfred Charles Richmond, S. 2a 488

Births Sep 1905

Higgs Florence Ida Kingston 2a 498

Comment

have already ordered two certs for a birth and marriage for grandparents (from GRO) but have not received either. The first on 18th august and the other beginning of the week. I have emailed about the first one but not heard back yet! I had tried wandsworth RO but they told me to try lambeth who also told me to try wandsworth as records have moved between the both. Because of this thats why I ordered through GRO. I am going to try emailing again as I desperately want these certs.

Comment

Gawd tessie they have been taking less than a week so something isnt right there.

Comment

you'll never guess- my cert. has arrived today, just got to wait for the other one now- hopefully not as long as this one took!

Comment

Working...
                        X