Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching in India, Rhodesia and Scotland

These are totally new areas for me.

I'm digging around for a friend and many of her ancestors emigrated to Poona and Umtali in the latter half of the 20th century.I have come across FIBIS (Families in British Indian Society). I've had a snoop around without yet subscribing, but has anyone else had experience of it?

I would imagine that it is extremly difficult to gather anything from Rhodesia - can anyone raise a flicker of hope?

And the last question and the least of my worries I have subscibed to Scotland's People. Is the full certificate / census record displayed when you request it and do you have to send off for BMD's as we do?

I'll now retire gracefully and cease my mithering. ;)

Thanks

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Hiya Gwyn.

I find this a good site for researching in India.

India Office Family History Search

Good Luck !
    Jacky

Comment

On SP you get the full certificate which you can download so you do not have to send for it.
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Jean, whats SP please
        Jacky

Comment

Gwyn

Scotlands People site will let you view certs and print them off (or even download them - but I haven't cracked that one yet!). You buy credits - 30 for £6. It costs 1 credit to view search results and 5 credits to view the cert or census page. So if you get it right first time you have a cert/census for £1.20. Pretty good value.
          Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

I use FIBIS and find it very useful. The search facility is free to use for everyone and the site holds a lot of information and more is being added regularly.

Comment

Jean, whats SP please
              sorry Jackie - scotlands people
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Oh you are good to me - I knew you lovely folk could answer my questions!

Thank you all so much.

Gwyn

Comment

Thankyou Jean - i'm a dopey mare :D
                  Jacky

Comment

Er. Jean says she is researching the latter half of the 20th century.

In this case, you cannot view and download the certs online, (SP privacy rules) but you can order an extract, which will cost you £10. That is cheaper than a certified copy from GROS, which costs £13.

Happy searching though!

OC

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know much about Zimbabwean research, but there are a few mailing lists mentioned on Cyndi's List which you could try:
                      Zimbabwe Mailing Lists
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks OC - I've had a go and baulked at the idea of spending £10+ on a cert for Scotland - 'cos I'm mean. I've since discovered that I can see pre-1900'ish for 1 unit and just take the info - much better

Kite - thank you for the llink to Cyndi's List - should have thought of that one :o

Gwyn

Comment

Thanks OC - I've had a go and baulked at the idea of spending £10+ on a cert for Scotland - 'cos I'm mean. I've since discovered that I can see pre-1900'ish for 1 unit and just take the info - much better

Kite - thank you for the llink to Cyndi's List - should have thought of that one :o

This whole enterprise is going to be fun :(

Oops - double posting - apologies!

Gwyn

Last edited by Oscar; 11-09-08, 00:27.

Comment

Oscar

Info before 1905 is downloadable on SP, and costs only 6 units (£1.20). It's the non-downloadable ones which cost £10.

You really must spend the £1.20 and get the cert, lol, because the information detail is fantastic on Scottish certs!

OC

Comment

For Scottish research Scotlandspeople is a godsend.

On Scotlandspeople

You can view and print off statutory images from 1855

births over 100 years old
                              marriages over 75 years old
                              deaths over 50 years old

and OPR's - which if you check with the LDS site narrows down your search. (though usually just Church of Scotland)

Wills cost £5

However the indexes for births and deaths are up to around 2006 - unfortunately not marriages though.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Ah! I happened to start on the non-down-loadable ones - typical. Since had a pootle around OC and discovered what you've said.

JBee - I didn't know that - have printed it off until such time as it settles in my memory - could take time - (lol)!

Thanks to you both

Gwyn

Comment

Originally posted by Georgette View Post
                                  I use FIBIS and find it very useful. The search facility is free to use for everyone and the site holds a lot of information and more is being added regularly.
                                  Georgette are you a member? If yes is there any difference in the records available to members and what can be seen for free?

I haven't looked for ages but there wasn't much there for my families. Luckily my Grandad is coming round and I am slowly getting the info he has - original certs etc which is fantastic.
                                  Kit

Comment

Working...
                                  X