How do I make my FTM file smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make my FTM file smaller?

I would like to upload to the site, but it is saying the file is too large.

I know I probably have to remove notes and scrapbooks etc but how do I do this?

THanks

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Presumably you have it as a ged file already, complete with notes and sources etc included?

If that is the case you have to import it back to FTM, a screen/box appears called Facts to Import . In a nutshell you need to exclude everything except the names and dates needed for the database then export this new stripped down file as a gedcom again, save the new file in the usual way and check the filesize is within the limit for the database.

Answer
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If I remember rightly, it's a long-winded process with FRM (whereas it's very simple with other programs).

I think you have to export your gedcom, then reimport it into a new FTM file (with a different name), specifying in the import dialogue that you don't want to import notes etc. Then export a gedcom of that file.

Comment

Thanks Glen and Mary,

It will just have whatever the standard things are Glen.

Sounds a long way round Mary, but it makes sense. I think I will leave it a while then as I have a lot more to add over the next couple of weeks.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom

By default the scrapbook items won't transfer via gedcom, the majority of scrapbook items are in one image format or another (jpg. tiff. etc) and ged files are text only.

As Mary and myself have said you have to go through a couple of steps to delete notes from a ged, the important thing to remember is to name the slimmed down file accordingly, that way you won't accidently confuse it with an existing file you may already have, for example you could use something like NoNotes or FTFexprt, it just makes it asy to see how/why you created it in the first place.

remember though that when you create the original ged file and import it back you are creating a duplicate of your original file, make sure that you give them easy to identify names.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Tom

It might also be worth knocking out the names of the living rellies too as this will make the file smaller (assuming you haven't already done so), when you import the GEDCOM use the individuals to include to select the names needed and facts to import to exclude notes and additional details such as burial places etc that are not needed for the FTF database.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not sure how to take out the living people Glen, but I have exported it and have then opened it and told it not to include anything other than name, born and died etc.

Am now exporting the new one to upload, so will see if it will do it.

Tom

Comment

HELP!!!

I have taken out all the notes but it still says the file is too big.

It is 1.54 MB

How do I make it smaller?

Comment

Tom

I'm sure mines bigger than that. Did have a problem uploading it a while ago but it's fixed now.

Try pm ing Elaine in Spain, she is very helpful.

Comment

Tom

I've just uploaded mine again and mine is 1.81mg.

How are you doing it?

This is what I do:

First I privatise the file in FTM. Then I export a gedcom to my desktop and give it a distinctive name.

Then I go to file in FTM and click open. Make sure the drop down menu is on gedcom not FTM file and find the file you just saved.

Then you get facts to import
                    use the "don't import" on everything you don't need.

Then export another gedcom and give it another name.

This is the file you upload to FTF

As I said, it worked for me and mine is 1.81mg

Comment

Yes, have done all that Margaret but when I uploaded it, the task manager thing said it was over 2000 mb but I can't see anywhere where it says that it is that big.

Comment

On your gedcom before you uploaded it, what size is it on there? The one you made smaller I mean.

Comment

Well it has now done it, not sure what was going on there though.

LOL

Thanks Margaret

Comment

Glad you've sorted it Tom.

Off to search to see if I can link us yet ;)

Comment

Well it's worked Tom cause your gedcom is on there.

Comment

I did some work on the Poxon family last week, but still haven't got your Henry in yet.

His father was Thomas who is a servant in 1851. He married Martha Harper in 1857 but they did not marry in Packington (I have transcribed from 1837 to 1904 for marriages and will do some more). She was from Ashby so I presume they married there.

Comment

If you think this is him in 1841 then that makes the connection (even if it is through several marriages!)

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 192; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Packington; County: Derbyshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 9; Page: 12; Line: 3; GSU roll: 241295.

Comment

Poxon's married into my Cox family Tom. I am only researching them after that marriage not before. So after 1890.
                                    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 25-09-08, 23:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                                      Not sure how to take out the living people Glen

Tom
                                      File>Export File>Selected Individuals

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                      X