Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Tatler's aren't telling.

WARNING - This thread has ended up very long. :o

Well I thought they weren't until I started this thread. I got half way through and have had to retype it. Can you please read and tell me if this looks right.

Mary Beckett b 1854 Burlsem Staffs married Joseph Tatler on 28 JUL 1873 Wolstanton, Stafford, England. (LDS info with source, I don't have the cert)

I found their first child Rachel born 1873 Burslem Staffs on the 1881 Census living with her Grandparents Samuel and Hannah Beckett. RG11/2724 Folio 78Pages 5 and 6. Mary and Joseph are missing.

1891 Census : Mary Tatler (married) is now living with Hannah Beckett(Widowed), Mary's son Joseph Tatler b 1881 Cobridge Staffs and some other Beckett family members. Mary is now born Cobridge. RG12/2172 Folio 25 Pages 33/34

1901 Census: Mary Tatler (widow) is living with mum Hannah Beckett, son Joseph Tatler (b 1881 Stoke on Trent) and other Beckett family. Mary is born Burslem again.

I've found a Rachel Tatler (b 1874 Hanly Staffs) on the 1891 census living with her grandmother Mary Parker. (RG12/2171/90/10). It's confusing as Mary's son Joseph's surname is Voss, suggesting Mary may have married several times if this is the right Rachel.

So I investigated Mary Parker, who may have been a bit of a tart, and have found on freebmd: Mary Tatler married Benjamin Voss Jun 1851; Benjamin Voss died Sep 1863; Mary Voss married James Parker Dec 1867. So it is possible this is the right Rachel Tatler. The problem being Mary has a son Joseph Voss and to be Rachel's father he should be a Tatler.

I found Mary TATLER in 1851, unmarried, children Joseph and Sarah TATLER and boarder Benjamin VOSS. (HO107; Piece: 2002; Folio: 121; Page: 27)

In 1861 Mary VOSS is living with her husband Benjamin, children Joseph and Sarah VOSS. (Class: RG9; Piece: 1935; Folio: 96; Page: 33)

So jumping forward again to 1881 I find Joseph VOSS with wife, Mary and children Sarah and Joseph. Mary and baby Joseph's dates and places of birth match with those of Mary and Joseph TATLER. (Class: RG11; Piece: 2724; Folio: 80; Page: 10)

So have I found my missing Tatler's? And why would they alternate VOSS and TATLER?

Sorry this is so long. It was originally meant to be a small I've lost them thread.
    Last edited by Kit; 10-09-08, 05:14.
    Kit

Kit.....were those marriages extracted??

***just to save me looking ***

Comment

Thinking out loud here. Don't take too much notice.

1871 Joseph Tatler age 24 with wife Emily and son William Burslem.

Comment

Can only find 2 Joseph Tatler/Tattler in 1871. Above fellow and a nine year old.

Comment

Found the Voss family in 1881.

Comment

So where's Joseph Tatler who is married to Emily in 1861????????

Thought that was him with Benjamin and Mary. Blow!!!
            Last edited by Harrys mum; 10-09-08, 06:26. Reason: Wrong family

Comment

Can't find that family (Joseph, Emily and William) in 1881 or 1891.

I'm just trying to rule them out of the problem, but don't think I have.

I'll see if i can find a death.

Comment

Sorry Kit...getting myself messed up with these. Joseph Tatler was with Emily and William 1871, not Joseph Voss. Can't read my own notes.

Comment

Hi Libby, what do you mean extracted?? I found the marriages on freebmd. Sorry the Beckett/Tatler one on LDS had a source. Now who is getting confused??

Ok. Emma Beckett married Joseph Tatler - found on LDS with a source. So is reliable.

All the other marriages were from freebmd.
                  Kit

Comment

from LDS:
                    Joseph Tattler born 29 NOV 1846 Wolstanton, Stafford, England to Mary Tattler.
                    I know know what you mean by extracted. Would love to see the register on this one.

Just had a thought and looked on the 1841.

Benjamin Voss is living with a Mary Voss in Warwickshire. Him of the county and her not. Looks like he may be the father of Joseph. Off to see if I can find her.
                    Kit

Comment

I'll get back to this in a little while. I needed a cuppa before and was going all over the shop with it. Looks interesting though.

Comment

I was wondering whether to say people should pour themselves a beverage of their choice before looking at this but thought it might be too early for the alcoholic type. lol
                        Kit

Comment

I'll have another go while OH is in the shed with his other wife (1937 car he's playing with).

1851 Mary Tatler and Ben Voss with Mary's kids.
                          1861 Mary has married Ben and calls the kids Voss.

So far??

Comment

So Joseph Tatler goes under the name Voss while he's little but marries nder his correct name (Voss).

Mary Beckitt becomes Mary Tatler.

Got to go back to page 1.

Comment

I think your Jo Tatler is Jo Voss. I can't find a Jo Tatler and a Jo Voss in the same year.

Why he changes....no idea. I can see why he'd go under Voss as a child, but marry under tatler. But no idea why he'd go back again.

Maybe a will??? Maybe just wanted to.....maybe owed money and thought "Oh I used to be Voss"........

Comment

Thanks Libby. So I was thinking correctly.

Why can't people just keep things simple?
                                Kit

Comment

Don't ask me................I own "missing Agatha" remember......

Comment

Working...
                                  X