new to this list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to this list

Hi there, maybe someone can help me or give me some advise.My brick wall is as follows.
    I have a James Norton born 1803,he married a Martha Cashmore,born 1805
    they were married in the Parish of Handsworth,St.Marys on 25th of
    December 1824. I'm trying to find anything on James, his birth place, parents, or any of his siblings if any.I have found Martha's sister and father.but can not find anything on James.I was told to look at the Handsworth Parish records,but I'm over in Canada,and can't get over there.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.thank you.
    John

Hello John

Welcome to FTF. I'm probably not much help as I'm in Australia, but didn't want you to feel ignored.

Have a look here
    Staffordshire Parish Registers Society

There are some links.

Have you tried our Wiki?? Along the top you'll see The Wiki. There is a search facility.

If you find anything, try emailing the relevant place. I've found any office I've emailed to be very helpful.

Comment

Hi John, welcome to FTF.

Do you have an LDS near you? If yes, you can order in the parish records you need for a small fee. Then you can search all you want. The link is for all LDS Family History Centres in Canada.
      FamilySearch.org - Family History Centers

The marriage is on the LDS website :
      Source Information:
      Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
      M098671 1810 - 1825 0426554 Film NONE
      M098671 1825 - 1834 0426555 Film NONE
      M098671 1834 - 1837 0426556 Film NONE
      Sheet: 00

So you can take that info in to the LDS for them to order the film.

A quick search shows James and Martha had 2 children:
      1. William (who married Sarah Rose Cox in 1847 at Warwick)
      2. Alfred b. abt 1832 Birmingham, Warwick
      Neither of these has source info though so it may not be accurate.
      Kit

Comment

James and Martha's marriage is on the IGI. If you got a lookup of the parish register entry for the marriage, it won't tell you where they were born or who their parents were. The best way to find out where James was born would be to find him on a census, preferably one later than the 1841 as that only tells you if somebody was born in the same county where they were living or not. Have you found the family on any censuses yet?

If it does turn out that James was born in Handsworth then you would need to look at the parish registers as the baptism register for St Mary's on the IGI only starts at 1805, according to the Hugh Wallis site.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The parish registers for Handsworth are in Birmingham Central Library. They may do research for you at a price.

Birmingham Archives and Heritage Service

email them at

archives.heritage@birmingham.gov.uk

Comment

do you know if they had children and if so their names, also what james' occupation was?

Comment

Working...
            X