Anybody heard of Collingwood College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody heard of Collingwood College?

Apparently my grandfather went to a school called Collingwood College. This would have been just after the First World War. His family lived in Hampstead, London but he may have been a boarder at the school, even so I don't think it would have been very far from Hampstead.

Googling for the name I have found one in Camberley, Surrey which was started in about the 1970's, one in Durham, one in Lee, Kent in the late 19th century and a mention of one in a book called "The Living Age" from 1892, and which seems to be quoted in a book by Edith Nesbit from 1923 ("To the Adventurous") which says "The college is in one of London's dreariest northern suburbs". That sounds most likely to be the one that my grandfather went to! Can anybody find out any more about it, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

You can Definitely rule out the Durham one. It was started circa 1970, funded I think by some nabob called Collingwood - a local name - and is part of the University.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes, sorry, I should have said I was ruling that one out by its location in the first place! Off to look in Historical Directories...
      KiteRunner

Comment

Possibly this is a red herring but there is a Collingwood Avenue in Muswell Hill, London N10 which is not far north of Hampstead.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Is there a naval connection perhaps? There was a well-known Admiral Collingwood.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, I saw it in the A-Z, Judith, and wondered if it could have been there. Thanks.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
            X