Gunmaker ancestors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunmaker ancestors?

Been corresponding with a brilliant chap called Stan Cook who has an index of gunmakers and their families back to the early 17th century.

This is his website and he is happy to do look ups:

GENUKI: Gunmakers Index

Can someone WIKI it for me please;)

Heather, he's great, isn't he? He helped me with OH's Charles Lamb, his gt-gt-grandfather, who was a gunsmith in Whitby. He gave me lots of interesting information.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I'll have a try with OH's ancestor, who oscillated between Kings Norton and Enfield.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, charming man. He had received enquiries "over 20 years" re my Furlongs of Shadwell and I was pleased to be able to give him a lot of baptism records (found on parish register.com) of the Furlongs.

I am also interested in the Cotterells on my OHs side who I can find in 1841 all as gun makers in Birmingham area. Henry Cotterell moved down to London and continued his trade there (OH's ggfX3) Stan seems to think they are a well known bunch from certain areas and has sent me apprenticeship notes back to 17th century. Course, they would need to be tied up better before I take them on board.

Comment

I once saw an original freeman's record: a tiny slip of paper in a little wooden cylinder circa 1750s. It was a beautiful object and sadly, the owner hadn't a clue how it came into the family. Me being me, I didn't take a copy of it or note the name.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Heather, have you had any dealings with the Chambers family from Birmingham?

They are still gunmakers in Birmingham.

OH's great-great-grandfather Charles Lam married Sarah Chambers in 1816 in Halesowen Worcestershire, and their first couple of children were born in Birmingham. Then Charles and family moved to Whitby, where he was a gunmaker.

There has always been speculation that Sarah was from the Chambers gunmaking family, but we haven't been able to substantiate this. It would be great if we could find Charles' apprenticeship indenture.

My daughter tried contacting the Chambers company, but didn't get very far.

Poor Sarah had a rough deal - after nine children, we believe Charles up and left (no will, burial, death notice or anything has been found for him, and it is believed that if he had died something would appear in Whitby's records). This was around 1833. In 1841 some of the children, including OH's great-grandfather, were in Whitby workhouse. Sarah remarried, but died in 1851 from cancer.

Unfortunately, Stan Cook wasn't able to find a great deal out for me.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oops, I forgot these links:

Guns industry in Birmingham

Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more - Company History
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
              X