Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find this marriage?

Hello everyone

This is my first thread, it concerns the lost marriage of William Nutter and Elizabeth Alice Slinger which has proved to be a brick wall. I'm hoping a fresh pair of eyes might help.

William Nutter was born about 1844 in Accrington, son of William and Elizabeth Nutter. In the census of 1871 William is at home, Rough Lee House Accrington and his entry includes "Retired from 89th Fusiliers". Elizabeth Alice Slinger was born about 1852 in Accrington, daughter of Nicholas and Jane Slinger. In the 1871 census Elizabeth is at home with her parents in Adelaide Street Accrington.

Old undated family notes mention this marriage, adding it was childless. There is no trace in Free BMD, Lancashire BMD and Lancashire On-Line Parish Clerk, furthermore, neither William or Elizabeth can be found in the census of 1881 and 1891. William Nutter died in 1900 and the 1901 census records Elizabeth A Nutter, widow, twice: first at Rough Lee House Accrington and second in Thornton Cleveleys. The double entry cannot be explained but the Nutter's use of the two houses is factual. Elizabeth Alice Nutter died in 1920.

Both attracted long obituaries and reading them it is clear they were pillars of society in the social, political and religious fields. The obituaries cross reference that "William was the wife of Elizabeth" and Elizabeth's late husband, William" etc. I have to believe they were married - but have no proof!

Both William and Elizabeth are buried in the grounds of Christ Church Accrington and a wild card might say - that is where they may have married.

Sorry this is such a long history but from the above facts can anyone help me find the marrtiage of William Nutter and Elizabeth Alice Slinger, or their whereabouts in the 1881 and 1891 census?

gooner

Probably no help AT ALL, but my missing marriage for my Lancashire couple turned up in the Isle of Man, for reasons unknown to anyone at all!

They were ordinary working class folk, and why they should have gone there to marry in the 1850s is beyond me.

OC

Comment

Having googled, I see there's a possibility they married abroad (and I suppose they might have been abroad in 1881 and 1891)? Have you tried the overseas GRO indexes?

Comment

this also probably doesn't help but i found this- George Nicholas Slinger

Comment

and this- Accrington Roll of Honour 1914-1919 | S-T

Comment

www.lanternimages.lancashire.gov.uk -photo of rough lee house in 1927 as a maternity home.

Comment

Lost marriage

Thanks for your replies

Yes, they may have married abroad but I don't have access to overseas GRO indexes to search this possibility.

George Nicholas Slinger was the brother of Elizabeth Alice Slinger and I have his history.

Thanks for your help but that brick wall continues to stand.

Comment

Nothing in the overseas indexes on familyrelatives between 1875 and 1895.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There's a marriage for the right surname combination in 1882 in Burnley - but it's Richard NUTTER and Mary Jane SLINGER. That's Lancs BMD.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

One of those daunting prospects - whether to send for the above marriage certificate hoping there is a connection - or not. They may be the same family/families, the names of the witness/s could give a good clue, occupations could be a big help. Then again - they could be no relation at all!! A very frustrating thought!
                    Maybe if nothing else turns up from any other avenue, it could be worth spending the money just to ease your mind. We have had certificates with the christian names - and also surnames incorrectly written - I have to admit though not two wrong christian names on the one certificate. Good luck

Comment

Lost marriage

Thanks again for your replies.

If the marriage was overseas I think it would be after 1871 but the period 1875-1895 has drawn a blank

I have done a lot of research on the Slinger and Nutter families and I'm as confident as can be that I have the full and correct names and ages for William Nutter and Elizabeth Alice Slinger, also their respective families. With this in mind I'm rather reluctant to purchase any certificates.

I can understand transcribimg errors being responsible for their disappearance from census returns but the lack of any marriage record is very frustrating.

Thanks again - much appreciate all your help and support.

Comment

My sons think it's an absolute hoot having Nutters in the family, all mine are in the gedcom (see above) if you would like to take a look.

Comment

If he were in the army and discharged to pension, then his army records should show his wife as next of kin. They may additionally have details of the marriage and possibly dependants - though I think it's a bit early for that.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Ancestry were going to put these records online. They are available at Kew, but may be difficult to search, depending on which series they appear in.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There are also books which show where various regiments went... so you can understand just why you can't find them. This again is usually on the individual army record.
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Lost marriage

I have tried William's military connections and the museum curator was unable to help me, however, with the passage of time I'm hoping marriage details will eventually appear in the public domain.

Jill's family think its a hoot having Nutter's in the family and if you have NW connections then everyone claims a link to Alice Nutter of 'Mist over Pendle' fame hanged for witchcraft in Lancaster in 1612. Many a good story has been told about Alice with the aim of finding a definitive family link to her Thus, from being a 'hoot' belonging to the Nutter's can becomes a 'status'
                              Last edited by gooner; 12-09-08, 19:54.

Comment

This turned up in TNA search:
                                Item details WO 97/1136/133
                                Scope and content
                                JOHN NUTTER
                                Born HOCKHAM, Lancashire
                                Served in 1st Foot Regiment; 10th Foot Regiment; 13th Foot Regiment; 40th Foot Regiment; 62nd Foot Regiment; 83rd Foot Regiment; 10th Royal Veteran Battalion
                                Discharged aged 52
                                Covering dates 1782-1814
                                Availability Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years, This series is currently undergoing digitisation. Access to certain pieces will be disrupted over the next 3 years and advance ordering of this series is not possible during this time. Please check with us that the pieces that you wish to consult are not affected before you travel.
                                Notes:
                                WO 97: Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents
                                1760-1854: discharge papers arranged by regiment, but each described at item level. (WO 97/1-1271)
                                WO 97/1136 10th Battalion, Veterans: Bar - Yea

It probably isn't yours, but I thought I'd share it with FTF in case it does relate to someone's tree, and they'd not found it already.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lost marriage

Thanks for your reply Christine. Not one of mine but let's hope it helps someone reading this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                  X