Got my Ariel documents.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Ariel documents.

Great service from TNA. Took about ten days from paying to having them at the door.

If you remember, Mary found a document relating to my missing Myles Ariel. He'd gone AWOL from 1853 when he came to Australia.

Well, seems he "died" intestate, but the document related to his father's will.

Myles Ariel (sen) died 1840. He left various little bits to his children, but the bulk went to his new wife, Lucretia Clark.
    He did leave 5000 pounds to be divided between his four children on the death of Lucretia. She died in 1889.

This document is about Emily (missing Myles' wife) asking for her share.

Very odd, as there were four living children in 1840.
    Elizabeth died 1860s.
    Agatha......never seen after her divorce from Lucretia's brother.
    Myles....the missing above one.
    Mary....never married, missing after 1891.

It did seem to lay to rest the family rumor that Myles 'took off' with his sister in law.

The best part was a letter Myles had written to Emily in August 1853. It was the last she heard of him. He was on his way to the gold diggings to make some money. The family seemed to be almost broke. I can't work that out, as the family paid their own way to Australia in early 1853. Myles came from a very wealthy family.

Maybe he lost it all in business dealings, but I still have my suspicions of the Clark family. I'll have to get over them because they cloud other reasons.

All in all, I'm very happy with what I found. The letter was a bonus. In the documents all the children are mentioned with their current addresses and signatures.
    Even the ring Myles was wearing when he went missing is described. His crest on the ring was "a leg in armour".......can't really picture it.

The letter says.....

Emu Plains
    14 Aug

I have enclosed a note and hope to send more by first opportunity. I do not like to send more for fear it may be lost.
    I have no doubt I shall do well at the diggings and make up for past expense and unhappiness.
    You can get credit at the butchers grocers and for wood as I made it all right with Mrs Ellison.
    Forgive me my dearest Emmie.
    From your miserable and unhappy Myles.
    Take care of yourself and the darlings.
    Ten thousand kisses to you all.

Also at Fultons I will write post from the next town. Mrs Cain at the shop told me of a servant the other day.
    I will try hard to make money. God bless you and all.

Myles.

The conclusion was Myles died on the way to Sofala from Emu Plains. There were many bushrangers in the area.

I must admit a few tears have dropped. I'll have to make another copy of all this lol. There are 32 A3 pages.

Thanks Mary....I never would have seen the reference.

Oooh, well done Libby (and Mary!). You must be chuffed to bits!

OC

Comment

I am OC....Can't you see by the size of the post????lol.

Makes a change from the Kirkbys in the 1200s.

Comment

What a poignant last letter.

Comment

Oooh, talking of Kirkbys...I found your Christopher Kirkebye and my Christopher Houlden of Danby Wiske, both signing the Pipe Rolls!

Can't tell you what date as it was only a snippet, but I knew our two families must have shaken hands at some point!

OC

Comment

Oh, what a heartbreaking letter!

Comment

*reaches for glass of wine before opening thread*

That's a very sad tale.....

I see if you google "leg in armour" with the word crest, there are a lot of references to the surname Eyre, which sounds a lot like Ariel (Eyr-el) lol

Comment

Did the file cast any light onto who Myles' administrator was in 1891?

Comment

Here are some examples of the Eyre/Ayre crest:

armorial

Comment

Ooohhh....

Myles Ariel's grandmother, Elizabeth Naylor, was Elizabeth Eyre before she married.

Comment

...and one of them has a leg in armour!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Oooh, talking of Kirkbys...I found your Christopher Kirkebye and my Christopher Houlden of Danby Wiske, both signing the Pipe Rolls!

Can't tell you what date as it was only a snippet, but I knew our two families must have shaken hands at some point!

OC

Don't those snippets make you scream!!! You know it's just the info you want by the little bit they have. I try searching for all sorts in the book hoping to add to the snippet.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          ...and one of them has a leg in armour!

OC
                          and the other one has a leg in plaster!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            Did the file cast any light onto who Myles' administrator was in 1891?

Mary.......I can't see. It seems to be just letters that were filed with the High Court to prove Myles had died in 1853.
                            The only English person mentioned is "Randolph Charles Want of 32 Victoria Street in the City of Westminster, Solicitor".

*****am I wondering why they didn't use the vast legal advice of the Clark family*****

I possibly need to get Lucretia's will, but someone checked it for me in London and there was little in it and not much money, so I suppose she had given it all away before here death.

Maybe if I could find Mary it would shed some light, as I'm sure she would have had a will.

Comment

Merry..............this lot should have had their whole body encased in plaster...might have stayed in one place. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                The only English person mentioned is "Randolph Charles Want of 32 Victoria Street in the City of Westminster, Solicitor".
                                That'll be the one - remember I thought it might say "Avant"?

*****am I wondering why they didn't use the vast legal advice of the Clark family*****
                                Yes, very strange. Something they didn't want them to know about?

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post

Not very English - it looks as though he was born and married (twice) in NSW.

Comment

Didn't think to look him up lol.

Although every page is marked with the High Court etc London, it's really all from Australia. Lots of pages of Affidavits from here.

Actually the Want solicitor was practising in London as they say they are using him for their solicitor in England. Earlier in the pges it gives his address as Westminster Chambers, Victoria Street, London.

Maybe he went to London for this job. That would have been pricey though.

Comment

Libby glad to hear you have such a find.

Myles may not have come to an end at the hand of bushrangers though. If his did strike gold another digger may have decided he wanted the gold instead. I think it may have been very dangerous to have been successful in those days.

My 3g grandfather made money on the gold fields. He didn't find gold but he was a baker and everyone has to eat. lol
                                      Kit

Comment

Could have, Kit, but I think he would have written the second letter he promised. I'm going to have a go at tracing the people he mentions in the letter.

Funny actually, I know both the surnames mentioned quite well, but from the present not past.

There was a reward for finding him so I think if anyone did find him they would have recognised the ring.

Of course, it still doesn't completely negate the family rumor that he took off with his sister in law. The letter sounds real though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X