Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munitions factories in London

Hello

I would like some help finding records of munition factories in London during World War One.

A great aunt of mine worked in a munitions factory in London during WW1, however I have no other info than that.

I would love to find out which factory she worked in. Where would be the best place for me to start?

I know this is going to mean many hours of searching, however any help would be appreciated

Katie

There was a munitions factory in Silverton in the East End of London, where on 19th Jan 1917 there was an explosion and 69 women were killed. I think there were others in the East End too. You could 'Google' Munitions Factories in London for that period.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Does anyone know where there was one in Hutton Rugby please ????
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

There were little Royal Ordnance Factories all over the place (e.g. Maltby, South Yorkshire, where I went to school). And some ginormous ones like the one near Gretna whose history Neil Oliver explored in "Coast".
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Borobabs,

I thought the place was called Hutton Rudby? I may be wrong.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

My GG grandfather worked at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, N London in the 1870's. It was opened in 1816 and closed in 1988.
            They made rifles in the great war and WW2 and it was a big place.
            A search under Royal Ordanance Factory or National Explosive Factories may reveal others
            Royal Ordnance Factory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
              Borobabs,

I thought the place was called Hutton Rudby? I may be wrong.
              No Granmpa Jim you will be right ,,,
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

My late mother worked on nights in a munitions factory in Thorp Arch in W. Yorkshire, during the 2nd world war.
                Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Working...
                X