Old Bailey online - dont understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bailey online - dont understand?

I just went to copy the proceedings involved in my rellies Mary and Stephen Furlong.

When I finished that I thought Id have another look at GGFx2 James Horstead's case - though I have printed it. BUT I cant see it. I did a search by surname - zilcho???

How weird, Ive gone back, ignored the surname bit and just put his name in the key word search and the case has come up.

I guess thats a tip for us all really. If you try a surname and get zilch, try keyword using the surname.
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-09-08, 17:44.

where do you find this old bailey records?

Comment

It's this one:

Old Bailey Online - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913 - Central Criminal Court
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Problem sorted

Hi, I noticed the problem you were having with the Old Bailey Online, and as I am one of the directors of the project, I investigated the issue. It turns out that there was a problem with the configuration of the search engine, that meant that all surname searches for the year in question, failed to work. The project team has now fixed this, and searches should now result with the expected trials.

Inevitably, when dealing with 240 years of records, and 120 million words of text there are errors, and we are creating a wiki that will allow these errors to be automatically logged and corrected in the near future. But, in the mean time, thanks for writing about this one.

I very much hope that despite the problems, you find the site useful.

All the best, Tim

Comment

Wow - that's service for you!

Welcome to Family Tree Forum Tim, and thanks for your input. It is nice to know that queries which are being posted on our site are being picked up by project leaders such as you.
          Elaine

Comment

Welcome Tim and Thank You

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Hope you now become a regular as there's so much more to FTF than at first sight.
            Last edited by JBee; 24-09-08, 08:30.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Tim the site is wonderful. I found my 4greats grandmother's trial on there and also my OH's 4 greats grandfather was the victim of another man who was sentenced to transportation to Australia.
              Kit

Comment

Must echo what everyone else has said about Old Bailey online - it's really useful for our research, I too have found references to my ancestors giving me addresses etc pre census. But even if your ancestors don't appear it is soooo interesting to read! It's a real social history, so thanks to Tim and your team for all your hard work!
                Sue

Comment

Thank you for the prompt response, Tim

I've not found any of my lot but husband had a gt x 2 grandfather who was tried for theft in 1845 for stealing combs for graining paper worth 9s 6d. Two witnesses for his defence were his father and his future father-in-law. He was found innocent but
                  I've found him in 1871 in Parkhurst!!!!

Also found husband's gt x 5 grandfather as a witness in another case of theft. These cases really bring the past to life and there are often useful biographical snippets.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just thought I'd say Tim that the site is very useful - I've found lots of rellies!!! :D :D

Comment

What brilliant service, the site is a wealth of information

]

Comment

Welcome, Tim.

And I'm another fan of the Old Bailey site. It's been in my favourites/bookmarks for a long time.

I had more or less given up hope finding anyone from my trees in there, but only recently, I was googling a name from my niece's tree and there it was - a hit on the Old Bailey site. When I drew her attention to it, she was delighted.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Tim,

I echo all the praise: it is a great and generous site. I knew that my gt-gt-uncle was hanged for murder but through the site I was able to fill in much of his earlier criminal career and his various stays at her majesty's pleasure. Thank you.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Evans View Post
                            Tim,

I echo all the praise: it is a great and generous site. I knew that my gt-gt-uncle was hanged for murder but through the site I was able to fill in much of his earlier criminal career and his various stays at her majesty's pleasure. Thank you.

Peter
                            LOL Peter, only a Family History nut would be delighted at that sort of information ;);)
                            (I have a few black sheep myself)
                            To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Working...
                            X