Gedcom database birthplace unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom database birthplace unknown

I was just doing one of my checks of the gedcom database and came across one of mine with "Probably Scotland" as place of birth. In this instance, the couple had names common to the area, and all their children were born in Scotland. Unfortunately, there are no parish records to be found for their marriage, no baptisms for their children and no other identifying details.

Obviously, these "unknowns" are the very ones for whom I should most like to find fellow researchers, in case our pooled knowledge can open new avenues.

I tend not to follow up on those with places of birth listed as "unknown", be it here, GR, Ancestry or whatever, unless the name is very uncommon.

I would be interested to know if others would follow up on a potential match with someone with a "probably" place of birth, or be more likely to ignore it?

Alternatively, does anyone have an alternative to the non appetite-whetting "unknown"?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

I think it would depend on how common the name was and how desperate I was to find somebody else researching that person! Can't think of an alternative to "unknown", really.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If the brickwall ancestor had children, their details would show in a gedcom. I would make contact because of the children, rather than the parent:sometimes you can pool scraps of info and take things back together.

I am slightly suspicious of anyone who has a tree without any siblings shown. I always check as many other names as I can, to see whether the contact is likely to have a mutual interest, and I always make sure that they are interested in at least one female.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Kite and Phoenix.

Phoenix - I do the same ie check if there are children listed. The trouble is, my most elusive ones are pre civil registration and with no baptisms, so, in many cases, I just have knowledge of the one child and know the father's name, or parents' names in Scotland, from their marriage (and/or death in Scotland)
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Nothing to do with the GEDCOM database (yet!) but I'm sitting on a 1901 census entry bursting with potential. A widow (husband died 1900) is in the house she's lived in for years, with her sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, niece and grand-daughter. I can't link in any of these rellies yet, though one surname appears as a second name of one of her sons. All will be revealed in due course!
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X