End of the Census!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the Census!!!!

I have just received a newsletter at work (one of many!) and thought one of the topics might interest users of this forum, the topic in question concerns the ten yearly census. A government quango (I know not another quango!)has produced a report that states the ten yearly census should be scrapped as it is always going to be outdated and inaccurate and apparently in this modern computer age there are better ways of compiling data/statistics on the population (always assuming of course some official doesn't leave it on a train somewhere!!!)
    Oh No! What will the genealogists of the future use as a source of information then?
    Still if they do scrap the ten yearly census then the government may release all existing census data early (no I didn't really think so either)
    Then again if this experiment in France, with these atom blasters, or whereever it is goes wrong the world will end anyway and there won't be a need for the census afterall!
    Kee your fingers crossed that we're all still around on Thursday to make use of the census..:o
    Until the next time.
    BourneGooner out.........

heh heh. I would imagine that if the census was scrapped we would use the alternative too.

Here is a news article which explains more:
    Timesonline article

Comment

I forecast the 2011 census would probably be the last UK census back in about 2001.
      With all the electronic data being collected about us (in real time) there is no logical reason to spend vast sums of money gathering inaccurate outdated data.

It was also one of the arguments I used in my successful FoI bid to gain access to the 1911 census.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Isn't there going to be a huge gap in census's anyway due to the war and issues like that?

Guy out of curiousity did you get access to the whole census or just particular addresses?

And if the world is ending today my ancestors had better be waiting at the pearly gates with some answers for me. They don't have to let me in, just answer my questions!
        Kit

Comment

Just the particular address, but that forced the change in policy and the early release of the census.

Not such a big gap as some think.
          The 1921 England & Wales census was destroyed in a fire and the 1941 census did not take place due to that tussle in Europe but there is the 1939 Registration to take into account.

I would also note that the 1939 Registration was not a census therefore is not covered by the 1921 Census Act.
          This means information from the Registration must be released on demand.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

The 1921 England & Wales census was destroyed in a fire
            Wasn't that the 1931 census?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
              Just the particular address, but that forced the change in policy and the early release of the census.

Not such a big gap as some think.
              The 1921 England & Wales census was destroyed in a fire and the 1941 census did not take place due to that tussle in Europe but there is the 1939 Registration to take into account.

I would also note that the 1939 Registration was not a census therefore is not covered by the 1921 Census Act.
              This means information from the Registration must be released on demand.

Cheers
              Guy
              I am intrigued... being fairly new to genealogical research this is something new to me.
              What exactly does it mean Guy?

What did this registration involve? Would it mean that I could (possibly) locate the whereabouts of my grandmother at the time the Registration was made/taken?

Comment

Guy you know a lot more than I do. How would we access the 1939 registration? I'm assuming it would be on an address basis rather than a blanket search. And any idea of the cost?
                Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Wasn't that the 1931 census?
                  Thats what I thought Merry

Apparently the 1931 census for Scotland still exists which is good news for some
                  With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Working...
                  X