logical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logical?

Yesterday I found some information which helped me with my reasearch,but of course I would like to get even further back.Please have a look at my reasoning and see if you can tear holes in it!
    James Cooton m.Elizabeth ? This couple has children baptised in Tarleton Lancs.between May 1784 and November 1800.I looked for any marriages of a James Cooton to an Elizabeth and found one in Croston,Lancs.10/2/1784-brides surname Iddon.Witnesses Peter Rutter and Lawrence Farrington.

Lawrence Farrington(1761 to Elizabeth Farrington)would be about the same age as the couple.Elizabeth had a sister Ellen who married John Iddon.John Iddon and Ellen had Elizabeth.

The parents of Elizabeth and Ellen are Robert Farrington and Margaret Gaskell.

I discounted Peter Rutter as a relative because he witnessed almost 100% of all weddings.

Lawrence Farrington witnessed 5 weddings in four years-Bateman/Gaskell,Cobham /Heaton,Boardman/Calvert,Farrington/Gaskell.

My head is spinning! Do you think I have got back to the right couple ie Robert Farrington and Margaret Gaskell?

Lawrence links in to the Bride's family, not the groom's. To be certain you have the right marriage, you would need some other link between the Cootons and the Iddons.

Are the parishes contiguous? Does the marriage or the banns show parish of origin? Are there any wills? Do any of the children have unusual Iddon christian names?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

James Cooton Husbandman and Elizabeth Iddon are O.T.P. ie Croston.Baptisms of their children in Tarleton do not mention abode.
      John Iddon and Ellen seem to only have two children;Elizabeth and John.An Ellen Iddon was buried in 1766("wife of John husband man of Bretherton")
      All these places are close to each other and the people seem to use these parishes and others in the district.

Comment

Have you checked that there aren't any other James and Elizabeth Cooton couples having children at the same time? And did your James and Elizabeth have children named Ellen and John, which would make it look likely to be the right Elizabeth?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Can find no other James Cooton and Elizabeth.Their children-John,Margery,Thomas,William,James,Elizabeth.No Ellen.Cannot find a child born before marriage,or a burial.

Comment

have you looked for the family on the census?
            long shot, but you may find something

Comment

kylejustin,I presumed they would be dead!James Cooton could still be alive in 1841 though.Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
              X