Methven's of scotland Could some one help me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methven's of scotland Could some one help me please

Hi everyone I have just started research on my methven family again after (I was at a stand still) after looking at it again I now know why I left it for some time.

I have a theophilus Methven baptised 19/1/1774 in dundee I then find him marrying Eliza Loving in Hornsey 1796 they had 4 children all born in covent garden the his wife died after the birth of their last child I then find theo marrying in scotland to a barbara japp in 1827 he is then buried in scotland in the japp family lair my question is how did he travel back to scotland and would there be any way of finding out?
    Last edited by TWINKLESTAR; 09-09-08, 13:19.
    Twinklestar

I suppose he would have gone in a horse-drawn vehicle of some kind, Twinklestar, but I'm pretty sure there would be no records of the trip, sorry.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It's suprising just how far folks travelled way back then. Before the advent of the railway the quickest method of travel (with good weather) from Berwick to London was by sea, canals were also used at one time as an alternative to horse drawn transport, especially as the Midlands became linked to London and the North West more effectively.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Kite runner and glen thankyou so much for the replys i thought as much thanks again for your help
        Tracy
        Twinklestar

Comment

I think he would have gone by sea. Dundee was quite an important port and manufacturing town.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thankyou John but i supose back then there would have been no record of it
            Tracy
            Twinklestar

Comment

Working...
            X