buried or cremated and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buried or cremated and where?

My fiances dad had a brother who died at 10 days old in 1951. he was registered as being born in Middlesex S. his death is registered in Ealing. His sister was born in Windsor in 1956 and died in 1959, registered in Windsor. We know where she is buried and have visited. On the headstone it has the wording and then her name, then below it has the brothers name and the year he died etc. Therefore, do we presume he was cremated and when she died his ashes scattered with her? How would I find out where he is buried/ was cremated?

tessie

Unfortunately, a name on a headstone is not proof that someone was buried there.

However, you can find out if his ashes were scattered there, from the Cemetery authority. You are supposed to get permission to scatter ashes, so there should be a record, if that happened.

Did the baby die in hospital or at home? If he died in hospital then it is quite possible that the hospital took care of the burial/cremation, as was the routine in those days, unless the parents wanted to make their own arrangements. There should be a note in the hospital chapel records of any burial/cremation.

Good luck.

OC

Comment

thanks OC, i believe he died in hospital, however i don't know which one. If his ashes were not scattered and the hospital took care of things, was it 'normal' to add another person to the headstone as a memorial?

Comment

tessie

His death cert will tell you where he died.

Yes, I have many family graves where a person is commemmorated, though died and buried elsewhere. Sometimes it says so, e.g. "Died in Tripoli" and sometimes it doesn't!

Sometimes the names were added many years later, when a family member could afford to do it.

In the case of hospital burials, often a baby would be placed in a coffin with the next available adult. However, there should still be a record in the hospital chapel records (which may not be kept at the hospital, but at the church which served the hospital).

OC

Comment

Working...
        X