Java and Open office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java and Open office

Just downloaded a Java update and part of the download included Open Office installer.

Anyone tried it? will it conflict with office?? Scared to try it at the moment so any advice gratefully received.

Hope not, because I got caught with it the other day. Downloaded the update and all of a sudden Open Office is there. I have Office Professional so hope it's OK.

Comment

Java is by Sun MicroSystems and Star Office of Which Open Office is an off shoot is also by Sun MicroSystems.

When you downloaded the Java Update, if I remember correctly there would have been an option for OO which you have to deselect if you don't want.

I think basically Sun are pushing OO as a good alernative Office Suite to Microsoft Office.

Remember OO is FREE!! :D:D

Comment

Thanks John I must have missed that. If I try it will it conflict with M office???

Comment

No it shouldn't as it is an independant program. I have a couple of similar programs on my PC as well as Microsoft Office, and they all work OK.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Installing Open Office shouldn't conflict with MS Office.

I've never had any problems running both OO and MS Office suites along side each other and I've not as yet heard of anybody else having a problem.

Basically OO offers the same facilities as MS Office but OO is FREE.

OO will also open a lot (not all) of MS Office files and is pretty much (not 100%) compatible with MS Office.

Comment

Thanks Wendy, you beat me to it !! :D:D

Comment

Thankyou both may give it a try.

Comment

I wish I was brave enough to get rid of my Microsoft works and just have OO. I have it installed since John recommended it and one of the brilliant things about it is when I receive attachments that are from someone using Word, my OO opens it no prob whereas before Works couldnt do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X