Census onfo for William Mckinley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census onfo for William Mckinley

Hello All....It's been a while since I've been able to any family research but I can feel the 'bug' getting hold of me again :D

Looking for some help in tracing a WILLIAM MCKINLEY back through the census to get an idea of where he came from.

From his M/C he was 32yrs old can't quite make out his occupation but it looks like 'carver' and his father was Charles Mckinley ( Farrier )
    He was married in Hackney June 11th 1900

He is on the 1901 census with his wife living in Walthamstow. occupations a Drapers Porter and his PLace of birth is Brighton Sussex.

The only possible I have from 1881 has him living with a family ( Graham ) as a border .....

William MC KINLEY Boarder U Male 13 Brighton, Sussex, England Errand Boy
    James MC KINLEY Boarder U Male 22 Brighton, Sussex, England Fireman

William Mckinley is only part of my family tree through his marriage so I'm only really after the census info for an idea of who he was and where he came from. To give me idea of the sort of man his wife married !

Many Thanks

Esta
    Esta

Here he is with his parents in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 1076; Folio: 104; Page: 11

His father is 36, a smith. from Ringmer, Sussex. Charles' wife is Rhoda, 40, from Brighton. In 1871 they have seven children and William is the sixth. They are living as a single family at 3 Carlton Court, Brighton.

Comment

Hi

Thank you for 1871 info - would you mind if I asked for the names of the other children and if they were also born in Sussex ?

* Just found Rhoda and 2 daughters in 1881 at 7 Carleton Ct *
      Last edited by Esta in Bristol; 08-09-08, 19:22.
      Esta

Comment

i have found a william mckinley in 1891,he is a visitor to his sister. his year of birth is wrong though. you say he was 32 when married making him born in 1868. however in the census in 1891 he is 28 making his year of birth 1863 unless its been transcribed wrongly (not uncommon). he is a drapers porter though.

Comment

Thanks for the 1891 - it's sounds like it might be him to me. Could you let me have the household details of his siter and where they are living please

Will have to go back and see if I can find him in 1881 - he wasn't with his wife and 2 daughters .....

Thank you again for your help
          x
          Esta

Comment

Originally posted by Esta in Bristol View Post
            From his M/C he was 32yrs old can't quite make out his occupation but it looks like 'carver' and his father was Charles Mckinley ( Farrier )
            From what you have said and what people have found, I think it's likely to be "carter", the equivalent of today's "white van man".
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

he is living with his brother james an engine driver (i think thats what it says!), sister in law clara, william is a drapers porter an S is under condition of marriage, a lodger Ada browning (dressmaker) and a domestic servent aged 14 mary pattender.

Comment

Sorry I didn't say Thanks last night - Is anyone able to give me the family names from the 1971 entry please. Would just like to know names / where & when born etc..

Thank you once again all help is greatly appreciated
                Esta

Comment

Charles is the Head, he's 36 born Kingmoor, Sussex (Ringmer I think)
                  Charles a son aged 15
                  James a son aged 13
                  John a son 1
                  Murrey son again , aged 9
                  Rhoda Wife aged 40
                  Rhoda daughter age 6
                  Sarah daug aged 7
                  William son aged 3

Everyone else born Brighton
                  Jess

Comment

Working...