How odd!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How odd!!

In my Alexander line, a sister of my 4xgt grandfather was Ann Clements Alexander (Clements was their mother's maiden name).

Ann C. A. married Jasper Cox in 1815. One of their children was Ann Clements Alexander Cox. I always thought she was a spinster - see the following:

Deaths Dec 1905
    Cox Ann Clements A 77 Amesbury 5a 97

However, further to Richard's post on Wiltshire Wills, I googled and came across a really useful site:

Surnames Search

Amongst other things, they have photographed lots of graves, and surnames are searchable.

I googled "Ann Clements" and "Alexander" which took me to this site. Then:

Surnames Search. * Surnames starting with F

There is a grave with Thomas Field and his wife Ann Clements Alexander Field!! (scroll down) If you click on it you will see the image - there are two.
    I already had Ann's dob, and now the grave.

However, why is her death recorded under the name of Cox when she had been married and was actually Field?

It appears that Thomas and Ann had no children, as far as I can tell from the census returns.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 08-09-08, 18:03.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I thought perhaps they weren't actually married, but this looks like the marriage:

Marriages Sep 1857
    Cox Anne Clements Alexander Clerkenwell 1b 718
    Smith Maria Clerkenwell 1b 718
    Wall John Brown Clerkenwell 1b 718

Marriages Sep 1857
    Field Thomas Clerkenwell 1b 71[8_]

Comment

Yes, Mary, after much searching I found the marriage this afternoon. I was expecting it to be in Wiltshire or Berkshire, but no, it was in Clerkenwell!
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Looking at the image, which is extremely good, it looks as if she is actually down as Ann Clements Alexander Cox [wife of Thomas Field].
        It would be interesting to know who paid for the gravestone if they had no children. And who registered their deaths.
        I have women in the family retain their maiden names after marriage and have them recorded on their gravestones and on their death certificates, though their final name is always given as their husbands'.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

She is calling herself Field in 1891 but has reverted to Cox in 1901.
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix.

Isn't that a great site. Perhaps I should post it separately.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

It certainly should be in the Wiki, if not there already. Just off county for me, but I don't think my Dorset or Wilts people ever had two farthings to rub together, so I doubt if they would have had gravestones anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X