Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiltshire Wills

Wiltshire County Council - Wiltshire Archive Catalogue - Wiltshire Wills

Lots of wills online for Wiltshire. Only just discovered this recently because I have no Wiltshire ancestors, but lots of my Dorset ancestors wills are there presumably because of boundary changes over the years.

Goodness, you get the image too!!

Off to search for my Alexanders, but I'm finding the search engine rather troublesome at present!

Many thanks, Richard.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There are 456 items including the name "Alexander" - of course, that includes Christian names, too!

Off to trawl through them now. :D
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It's only a pilot service for time being apparantly, but images are excellent. You can enter the town or village you are looking for to narrow it down. In my case I entered the village Holnest, and had a good look at all the wills for there..because you never know what with spelling variations, and guess everyone was related somehow in these small villages!

Comment

It's an excellent site but not all of the wills have images which is a bit frustrating
          Asa

Comment

Yes, the first one I looked at had an image, but none of the others did. :(
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

It looks as if they are trying to develop a "pay per view" system. I'm not sure how many have been scanned already, but as there are over 500,000 items in the collection, it looks as if we may have to wait a while for completion.
              Jenny

Comment

Working...
              X