ingle in st george hanover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ingle in st george hanover

im not sure if anyone can help, but here goes.

im missing my ingle family in 1841 and 1861.they should be in st george hanover square in both years, as they were there in 1851,1871, and 1881

george ingle married sarah bilsdon in shoreditch, 1834.

in 1851- ref ho107, 1477, 392, 8

george ingle, 39, b.leicestershire, melton. head
    sarah, 44,b. rutland, preston.wife
    and daughters ann, martha, jane and sarah.

all the daughters except martha are gone in 1871.
    george and sarah died in the 1880's.and martha was 'visiting' sarah conway, her sister in 1891.

so, can someone find george and sarah senior in 1841 and 1861?
    and sarah junior is missing in 1861 as well. but, she appears as conway from 1871, though their is no marriage to james conway.

Just to give the daughters' ages in 1851 so we know what to look for - Ann 17 born Middlesex London, Jane 15 born Middlesex Pimlico, Sarah 12 born Middlesex Pimlico and Martha 10 born Middlesex Pimlico. Martha's birth was registered Apr - Jun 1840 St Geo Han Sqr so she should be very roughly 1 yr old on the 1841 census.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanx kite, forgot that info!!

Comment

Hi
        I think you will find that the 1861 census records for St George Hanover Sq are missing. I think there may be information somewhere on FTF about which census records have not survived.
        Maureen

Comment

This is the link to the list of missing parts of the 1861, but St George Hanover Square is not missing:
          Missing Census Pages - Family Tree Forum
          KiteRunner

Comment

I think parts of St George Hanover Square area could be missing in 1861.
            My 2x great grandparents lived there. I can find 2xgreat grandmother and the children but not her OH. He was a butler and was probably at his place of work. I have searched the area lots of times and cannot find him.

Comment

Hi
              Just found this info
              Maureen

1861 census returns
              The following are known to be lost from the West London and London City registration districts: part of the parish of St Dunstan in the West (RG9/219), and parts of Cliffords Inn and Serjeants Inn within that parish (RG9/221); part of the parish of St Gregory by St Paul (RG9/220); the first six pages of the parish of St Bride (RG9/221); part of the Inner Temple (RG9/221); part of the parish of St Mary Staining (RG9/222); part of the parish of St Michael-le-Quern (RG9/223); part of St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate, including nos. 58-104 (but not no.77) Houndsditch (RG9/212 folios 140-143). Belgravia Sub-district, within St George's Hanover Square District, is also lost.

The Family Record (Newsletter of the former Family Records Centre) Issue 36 for October 2006, contained the following statement about the completeness of the 1861 census records for London:

Research has shown that roughly 3% of the 1861 census returns is missing or damaged. A major project is now underway to identify and list the missing sections. The London registration districts have already been fully checked with some interesting results. Hampstead is the most complete (at 98.5%) while St George's Hanover Square is at the bottom of the list with only 34.7% surviving. We are planning to make the information available online but at present it is only accessible on request at the FRC.

Comment

Oh, well done for finding that, Maureen. I saw that there were lots of enumeration districts listed when "browsing" the 1861 census on ancestry so I knew the whole of it wasn't missing! Well, I should think the Ingles must have been in the missing bit as I can't find them.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Edgar Rust born 1830 in East Harling, Norfolk and working as a butler in Belgravia / Mayfair must be in that lot as well.

Comment

1841 also has very annoying (for me) missing bits in Middx.

Part of the Parish of Kensington which includes the Township of Brompton is missing

Doesn't this include St Georges Hanover Sq ? .... some of my lot were from that area

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

the ingle's were living in belgrave, st george, so they probably are missing.
                      is st george missing in the 1841?

Comment

It doesn't look as if St Geo Hanover Sq is missing.
                        Maureen

Some 1841 census returns have not survived. The National Archives lists the following as missing.

England...
                        Hampshire – Winnall.

Kent – Bishopsbourne, Herne Bay, Reculver, Sturry, Swalecliffe, Westbere, Seasalter Liberty, Whitstable (including the township of Harwich, which is also missing), Ashford (part missing), Smarden.

Middlesex – Paddington.

Northamptonshire – Blatherwycke, Bulwick, Bulwick Short Leys, Deene (this includes the township of Deenethorpe, which is missing), Great Weldon (ditto township of Little Weldon), Weedon-Beck, Haselbeech.

Oxfordshire – Yarnton or Yarington.

Comment

so they were mistranscribed. any ideas?

Comment

According to FreeBMD

St George Hanover Sq was in Middx 1839 - 1889 and then transferred to London. In 1922 it became part of the City of Westminster

I always thought it was part of Brompton but maybe I'm getting Knightsbridge and Kensington muddled ?

This is from FreeBMD :-

ST. GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE REGISTRATION DISTRICT

Registration County : London.
                            Created : 1.7.1837.
                            Abolished : 1.10.1933 (succeeded by City of Westminster district)

Sub-districts : Belgrave; Hanover Square; Knightsbridge; Mayfair; Mayfair & Knightsbridge; St. John; St. Margaret; St. Margaret & St. John; Victoria; Westminster St. John; Westminster St. Margaret.
                            GRO volumes : I (1837-51); 1a (1852-1933).
                            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X