New Zealand Reaearch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand Reaearch??

I have a few people on my tree who emigrated to New Zealand mostly in the second half of the Victorian period.

None of them are direct ancestors, so I don't really want to be forking out to discover what happened to them etc, but wondered if there are any records available (free!! lol)

I have findmypast so if they went after 1890 I could have a look at the passenger lists. Just let me know details. I can even email you the pages if you'd like.
    Kit

Comment

I haven't done any NZ research for a while but this is a NZ cemetery site:

New Zealand Cemeteries

This is a site called Papers Past. Just ignore my search and do a new one. I'm not sure of the initial search page.

Papers Past — Search — Search Results
      Kit

Comment

Hi
        Below are a couple of links to cemeteries and old newspapers which may be helpful.
        Moggie

New Zealand Cemeteries

Papers Past

Comment

The following is a link to NZ sites. Includes cemeteries, archives, shipping records, BDM details, and societies. The link to PapersPast that Kit mentioned is on there too.

New Zealand

I have a NZ marriages disk which details marriages from 1836 to 1956. Gives the names of both parties and the year married. Let me know if you need anything looked up.

Sarah

Comment

Hi Kit, thanks very much!

Perhaps I'll put a list of everything here, though some left before that! (just in case anyone has any other ideas!)

I'm really just trying to find anything more at all about any of these people, rather than anything specific............

Francis Edward Henry BOSTOCK and his wife Olivia Emslie BOSTOCK were married in 1938 in East Africa. They died in NZ in 1955 (aged 55) and 1965 (aged 78) respectively.

Isaac BURCHILL (bachelor) emigrated to NZ from Bristol between 1881 and 1891. He died at 18 Cobden St, Auckland, New Zealand 26th Nov 1926 aged 78. He left a will but the records people can't find it!

George Alfred BUCK (b 1827) and his wife, Eliza Martha BUCK (b 1828) emigrated from Camberwell to NZ between July 1859 and the end of 1860. Apparently, their last child, Richard M(artin?) BUCK was born in New Zealand, whilst their elder children were batised in St Pancras London in July 1859, but don't seem to have been born in Eng/Wales. *sigh*

Hugh CROCKETT was b about 1862 at Massantoddy Wynaard, Bombay, India. He died 24th April 1884 at Wellington, NZ of typhoid fever.

Comment

Oooh, thanks for the links Sarah and maud

Comment

I have found the newspaper reference to Hugh Crockett's death. Go to the PaperPast website, search by region, choose Wellington, click on Evening Post (this is searchable) and search for Crockett. However, it says he died on 23rd Jan, son of Edwin. Is this the same Hugh as your one?

This link may get you to the article:
                Papers Past — Evening Post — 23 January 1884

Sarah

Comment

Here is the link Hugh Crockett's burial record

Cemeteries - Details - Wellington - New Zealand

Olivia Emslie Bostock of Havelock North (widow) had a probate lodged 29 Mar 1965 which is located at Archives NZ in Wellington.

Issac Burchill of Auckland, occupation Gentleman, had a probate lodged 9 Dec 1926 which is located at Archives NZ in Wellington - this is the one they have 'lost'?

Hugh Crockett of Wellington, Civil Engineer, death date 23 Jan 1884, had a probate lodged 25 Jan 1884 (intestate, letters of administration) located at Archives NZ in Wellington.

Comment

Olivia Emslie Bostock cremation details are on this website:

Hastings District Council Cemetery Database

Comment

Ooooh, thank you very much Sarah! I will investigate all those links this evening, as I have to go out now :(

this is the one they have 'lost'?
                      Yep, that's the one!!

Thanks so much for helping me

Comment

However, it says he died on 23rd Jan, son of Edwin. Is this the same Hugh as your one?
                        Yes, it is. It was The Times newspaper that said 24th Jan! (unless I copied it incorrectly )

Comment

Working...
                        X